What information do professionals have?

This might be one for the Moderators to look into, but I wonder if others have insight on this.

I've had several conversations recently with professionals dealing with adults on the spectrum who've just spouted the triad of impairments, or who've said its all in the triad of impairments.

With all the literature on theories about autism and various interpretations, and approaches to treatment, I could quite understand professionals looking for the easiest synthesis to hand.  But what is to hand? Is it just too easy to read up on the triad and related summaries? Or is there nothing else to hand for professionals to use.

The Triad of Impairments, as far as I can see, is of no more value than for diagnosing children. It has little relevance to the everyday lives and experiences of adults, and is hardly appropriate to helping professionals understand adult needs.

It doesn't explain a lot of issues facing adults.

But just what are the main texts used by professionals? And how useful are these texts for supporting adults?

Parents
  • Not all people on the spectrum have issues with eye contact, and many have learned it - it's not a diagnostic criteria, so I don't think that should even be part of any questions unless it's specified that it's not a deciding factor.

My GP isn't even aware that people with ASCs are entitled to reasonable adjustments or that people even with mental health issues are.  I have had to involve a MIND advocate and Healthwatch to try to get such adjustments.

I had to go to a meeting about my daughter at CAMHS and they were unaware of reasonable adjustments and didn't offer anything or ask me, I had to point out things I found difficult.

@Longman: What type of interview is this document intended for? 

• Not all people on the spectrum have issues with eye contact, and many have learned it - it's not a diagnostic criteria, so I don't think that should even be part of any questions unless it's specified that it's not a deciding factor.

My GP isn't even aware that people with ASCs are entitled to reasonable adjustments or that people even with mental health issues are.  I have had to involve a MIND advocate and Healthwatch to try to get such adjustments.

I had to go to a meeting about my daughter at CAMHS and they were unaware of reasonable adjustments and didn't offer anything or ask me, I had to point out things I found difficult.

@Longman: What type of interview is this document intended for? 

Children
No Data