What information do professionals have?

This might be one for the Moderators to look into, but I wonder if others have insight on this.

I've had several conversations recently with professionals dealing with adults on the spectrum who've just spouted the triad of impairments, or who've said its all in the triad of impairments.

With all the literature on theories about autism and various interpretations, and approaches to treatment, I could quite understand professionals looking for the easiest synthesis to hand.  But what is to hand? Is it just too easy to read up on the triad and related summaries? Or is there nothing else to hand for professionals to use.

The Triad of Impairments, as far as I can see, is of no more value than for diagnosing children. It has little relevance to the everyday lives and experiences of adults, and is hardly appropriate to helping professionals understand adult needs.

It doesn't explain a lot of issues facing adults.

But just what are the main texts used by professionals? And how useful are these texts for supporting adults?

Parents
  • I was thinking more broadly of all the different professionals who work with adults on the spectrum.

I take the point about psychiatrists and psychologists being stuck in their ways.

But the Autism Act is obliging local health service providers to educate staff to support adults better, and there are also moves in response to the act in employment, education and other services. What explanatory guidelines do they use?

NICE 142, the recent guide for adults, opens up early with ways to spot if someone is on the spectrum, pages 7 to 8, with a text which looks awfully like the Triad of Impairments, with a few embellishments about holding down employment. I'm not impressed.

It looks to me as if most of the training material being sent out is framed around the Triad of Impairments. The shrinks are a problem we've always had. This is something more serious.

Moderators, any insight please?

• I was thinking more broadly of all the different professionals who work with adults on the spectrum.

I take the point about psychiatrists and psychologists being stuck in their ways.

But the Autism Act is obliging local health service providers to educate staff to support adults better, and there are also moves in response to the act in employment, education and other services. What explanatory guidelines do they use?

NICE 142, the recent guide for adults, opens up early with ways to spot if someone is on the spectrum, pages 7 to 8, with a text which looks awfully like the Triad of Impairments, with a few embellishments about holding down employment. I'm not impressed.

It looks to me as if most of the training material being sent out is framed around the Triad of Impairments. The shrinks are a problem we've always had. This is something more serious.

Moderators, any insight please?

Children
No Data