Autistic adults and food

Hi, 

I was wondering if any other autistic adults with a selective diet have any advice for trying to introduce new foods?

I am now 26 and worry that my restricted diet will affect my health, it also causes issues with my relationships and work. 

Has anyone had any succces with types of therapy/the doctors or is it a case of perseverance? 

Thanks! 

Parents
  • I have serious dietary issues to start so I’ve found that botanic taxonomy works best for groupings of things I cannot eat. 

The culinary arts, like potions and alchemy, work in a reactive state to one another. In order to make introductions, treat food like a little party. First invite your favourites while adding in one or two extras to see how they “mingle”. 

For instance. I cannot digest the mustard family, or all Brassicas. So my salad must consist of asterids. If I add olive oil and apple cyder vinegar, Parmesan is a nice mix. But if I add fig balsamic and olive oil, sliced apples is a nice add. 

If you’re looking to explore Pairings, sometimes various chocolate with coffee or tea is a fun place to start. It’s important to allow a moment to think about and actively sense perceive the pairing, thinking about notes. If anything can be an “Autistic Bonus”, it’s our ability to really explore sensory elements and sharpen our perception. Make introductions of new flavours something to explore. Don’t worry about throwing something out or giving it to neighbours if it’s not for you. It can take time to expand the understanding of flavours or anything.  You need a safe and contained environment and to not overwhelm with too many things all at once or too many expectations. 

• I have serious dietary issues to start so I’ve found that botanic taxonomy works best for groupings of things I cannot eat. 

The culinary arts, like potions and alchemy, work in a reactive state to one another. In order to make introductions, treat food like a little party. First invite your favourites while adding in one or two extras to see how they “mingle”. 

For instance. I cannot digest the mustard family, or all Brassicas. So my salad must consist of asterids. If I add olive oil and apple cyder vinegar, Parmesan is a nice mix. But if I add fig balsamic and olive oil, sliced apples is a nice add. 

If you’re looking to explore Pairings, sometimes various chocolate with coffee or tea is a fun place to start. It’s important to allow a moment to think about and actively sense perceive the pairing, thinking about notes. If anything can be an “Autistic Bonus”, it’s our ability to really explore sensory elements and sharpen our perception. Make introductions of new flavours something to explore. Don’t worry about throwing something out or giving it to neighbours if it’s not for you. It can take time to expand the understanding of flavours or anything.  You need a safe and contained environment and to not overwhelm with too many things all at once or too many expectations. 

Children
No Data