Autistic adults and food

Hi, 

I was wondering if any other autistic adults with a selective diet have any advice for trying to introduce new foods?

I am now 26 and worry that my restricted diet will affect my health, it also causes issues with my relationships and work. 

Has anyone had any succces with types of therapy/the doctors or is it a case of perseverance? 

Thanks! 

Parents
  • I think the central issue is becoming more open to trying new foods. A restricted diet is the result of fear of the unknown and a heightened reliance on predictability and the known. The more foods you try, the more foods you will find that you like. You have to be aware that you might find a particular food unpleasant, or it could trigger a sensory problem, so be prepared. Only try new things at home, where you are in control and not under social pressure. Always have something available in the form of a drink, preferably with a strong taste, that you like in order to take an unpleasant taste away.

• I think the central issue is becoming more open to trying new foods. A restricted diet is the result of fear of the unknown and a heightened reliance on predictability and the known. The more foods you try, the more foods you will find that you like. You have to be aware that you might find a particular food unpleasant, or it could trigger a sensory problem, so be prepared. Only try new things at home, where you are in control and not under social pressure. Always have something available in the form of a drink, preferably with a strong taste, that you like in order to take an unpleasant taste away.

Children
No Data