new to this

Hi everyone

Hubby and I took our four year old to paediatrician today who has referred us for an assessment as it appears she has a lot of autism traits although he couldn't say where on the spectrum she is.  She is having violent outbursts (with me as recipient) chewing, licking, being loud, obsessive about water, no social interaction with children, not sleeping well, can't concentrate etc etc etc.  It is a relief to finally be listened to and be referred for assessment.  Alongisde this she is due to start school in sept and I have started the statement process.  

I am desperately looking for help & support and he gave me this website address :-)   Just to know we aren't alone is great.

xx

Parents
  • Hi - welcomeSmile.   There's loads of info via the home page + the posts, so have a good look around - you'll find it more than useful.   This is a good resource so feel reassured about that.  You have a lot to adjust to + everyone adjusts in their own time + in their own way.  Don't try + rush things too much.  You can't learn everything at once so bite sized chunks, relating to your particular situation is the best way forward.  I think the most important thing is to understand how autism affects your daughter as an individual, because it affects everyone differently to some degree + no 2 personalities are exactly the same.   Everyone understands here so ask whatever you want to.   Good that you're on the ball with getting your daughter a statement of educational needs.  Do you know what's causing your daughter's meltdowns?  Is she verbal?  Some who are non-verbal are helped by having a pictoral timetable so they know what they're doing next.  I don't know if your daughter already has, or needs one, so just a suggestion for you to consider.  There are also a number of safe things that can be bought if your daughter likes to chew but I can't remember what they're called.  They'll be on the site somewhere or another poster will know.  She may not be able to concentrate because she is anxious and/or tired, perhaps.  Does she have a routine?  By that I mean quite a detailed reliable routine so she can feel less anxious?  Sorry for all the questions.  It's just that the more we know, the more helpful we can be.  Is she obsessed with water in that she loves it or hates it?

• Hi - welcomeSmile.   There's loads of info via the home page + the posts, so have a good look around - you'll find it more than useful.   This is a good resource so feel reassured about that.  You have a lot to adjust to + everyone adjusts in their own time + in their own way.  Don't try + rush things too much.  You can't learn everything at once so bite sized chunks, relating to your particular situation is the best way forward.  I think the most important thing is to understand how autism affects your daughter as an individual, because it affects everyone differently to some degree + no 2 personalities are exactly the same.   Everyone understands here so ask whatever you want to.   Good that you're on the ball with getting your daughter a statement of educational needs.  Do you know what's causing your daughter's meltdowns?  Is she verbal?  Some who are non-verbal are helped by having a pictoral timetable so they know what they're doing next.  I don't know if your daughter already has, or needs one, so just a suggestion for you to consider.  There are also a number of safe things that can be bought if your daughter likes to chew but I can't remember what they're called.  They'll be on the site somewhere or another poster will know.  She may not be able to concentrate because she is anxious and/or tired, perhaps.  Does she have a routine?  By that I mean quite a detailed reliable routine so she can feel less anxious?  Sorry for all the questions.  It's just that the more we know, the more helpful we can be.  Is she obsessed with water in that she loves it or hates it?

Children
No Data