Health medical fears

I love researching and reading about health and the body but when it comes to seeing a doctor, going to hosp and having blood tests I get really scared and pass out and am sick

I go in to complete overload and break down.

The doctors aren't quite that understanding with me I think they lose patience. I had a letter from one after I came over bad and they told me and my mum I caused disruption and we need to see it doesn't happen again

Am I alone with my health medical fears or is it common for us with ASD.

Parents
  • Fear of doctors/hospitals affects quite a few people, but passing out and being sick might mean its too much anxiety, an anxiety attack.   Autistic people can struggle to manage thoughts and feelings and then get overloaded by whats happening, and either shutdown or meltdown.

Doctors can only go by what they observe and what you say, and might just see bad behaviour so important to work on managing yourself better.  You are going to have to think about what is going in your mind generally and when triggered by things like doctors/hospitals and let them know it all, write it down so that you don't forget when talking about it, or hand it over if its easier.

Best thing is to work on feeling ok about going to doctors/hospitals, you don't have to like it but you can just accept its best just to go and get it done, then feel good afterwards that its out the way.  

• Fear of doctors/hospitals affects quite a few people, but passing out and being sick might mean its too much anxiety, an anxiety attack.   Autistic people can struggle to manage thoughts and feelings and then get overloaded by whats happening, and either shutdown or meltdown.

Doctors can only go by what they observe and what you say, and might just see bad behaviour so important to work on managing yourself better.  You are going to have to think about what is going in your mind generally and when triggered by things like doctors/hospitals and let them know it all, write it down so that you don't forget when talking about it, or hand it over if its easier.

Best thing is to work on feeling ok about going to doctors/hospitals, you don't have to like it but you can just accept its best just to go and get it done, then feel good afterwards that its out the way.  

Children