Teeth Extraction And Drinking

On Sunday, my 4 year old daughter had 8 teeth taken out, she’s always struggled with tooth brushing and has a very restricted diet, which has led us to this point. However, since she has had these teeth taken out, she is refusing to drink anything. 

We have tried water, smoothies, Fruit Shoot, all of her favourite drinks. Straws, sports cap bottles, even through a Calpol syringe and she won’t touch it. 

Anyone have any ideas on how I can help her? She doesn’t eat any fresh fruit, or watery foods, but has been eating soft foods, since her extraction, so she must be able to swallow?

Obviously, I know that she will be dealing with this big change in her own way, but the nurses said that it’s really important to keep her drinking loads of water, so I’m getting very worried.

Parents
  • Hi, I can really mirror what Dawn has said, I was about the same age when I had six teeth removed, I shutdown so deeply that I ended up hospitalised with severe dehydration. Nobody knew what autism was then and my parents were most probably at their wits end. I didn’t  start eating and drinking until the wounds had completely healed. It is a massive sensory overload to have your mouth violated like that. I still have major issues 50 years on. If your daughter doesn’t show improvement then obviously seek help from your GP.

• I agree, I think that she was on quite a bit of pain medication on Sunday, so I feel like it’s only just hitting her and I feel so sorry for her, I really do. 

She has refused any new ice lollies, but just wants her favourite brand. Although, she has attempted a Fruit Shoot this evening, so I’m glad about that!

• I agree, I think that she was on quite a bit of pain medication on Sunday, so I feel like it’s only just hitting her and I feel so sorry for her, I really do. 

She has refused any new ice lollies, but just wants her favourite brand. Although, she has attempted a Fruit Shoot this evening, so I’m glad about that!

Children
No Data