What activities make you feel good about yourself

Like many, I often struggle to manage my mental health, self-esteem and negative thoughts towards myself. However, I do have a few activities that I enjoy that just help to reframe things and make me feel positive about myself.

What activities do you enjoy that have a positive effect on your outlook?

I just started exercise again after a 3 month break and it feels wonderful. I also picked up woodworking again after a similar break and have just completed making a new workbench. It’s not brilliant, but it’s mine and I’m proud of it.

Parents
  • It’s great that exercise makes you feel wonderful, it’s a natural dopamine booster.

The activity that makes me feel most positive about myself is connecting with and helping other autistic people like on this forum. Also I love Aucademy and listening to autism podcasts. I also love chatting to my autistic friend, he has a really positive influence.

Thanks for starting a great discussion.

• I’ve always found it to be such a boost. Finding the motivation at times can be hard, but it’s really worth it when I do.

Its nice to read of your interests in autism- the more knowledgeable and understanding voices the better in my opinion. I’m learning more each day. It’s nice for you to have such a positive influence in your life too I’m sure.

Thanks for starting a great discussion

I appreciate this too- I find that I can often focus on the things I’m finding tricky and tend to write about that stuff on here. I always receive a supportive set of replies, which is always appreciated. I’m trying to learn of the positives of my autism too though, so thought I’d give something like this a go. A step forwards in that direction so to speak.

• Its nice to read of your interests in autism- the more knowledgeable and understanding voices the better in my opinion. I’m learning more each day. It’s nice for you to have such a positive influence in your life too I’m sure.

Learning about autistic experience and autistic culture is definitely one of my or my main dedicated interests, I love it.

You say you are learning more each day and I think you learn much more from engaging with the autistic community than from anything else.

I appreciate this too- I find that I can often focus on the things I’m finding tricky and tend to write about that stuff on here. I always receive a supportive set of replies, which is always appreciated. I’m trying to learn of the positives of my autism too though, so thought I’d give something like this a go. A step forwards in that direction so to speak.’

This is what this forum is for, we autistic people are here to support each other by sharing common experiences and giving advice. We are here for you to help you navigate difficult situations, I hope you find comfort in that. Regardless of how you feel, we autistic people will listen (metaphorically) and validate.

It takes time to fully embrace your autistic identity, be kind and patient with yourself. You will soon learn that you are an amazing autistic person and that many strengths come from being autistic (or being neurodivergent in general). I can share some common autistic strengths if that is useful for you, maybe you can relate to some of them:

These are my autistic strengths:

Autistic Strengths
    • Deep and analytical thinking 
    • Monotropic focus
    • Feel very passionately and intensely - really like the ability to immerse in a flow state when engaged in my interests. When interested in something I want to know everything about it.
    • Intense interests bring so much joy- particularly researching autistic experience.
    • Creative - really love the complexity and double meanings of the English language 
    • Detail orientated - see patterns all the time 
    • Observant
    • Feel like I can really relate to and empathise with other autistic and neurodivergent people/people who are misunderstood/quiet/shy
    • Accepting of others
    • Punctual
    • Memory
    • Honesty - I say what I mean and mean what I say

We all have our own strengths and weaknesses, but the more you learn about your autistic identity the better.

I hope this reply is useful for you.

• I do. I’m always in pursuit of the best shape, size and texture for each specific mineral or rock. I never know what that is, but I have a criteria that fits each individual rock and I know it when I see it. It’s a very sensory thing for me. I think it demonstrates the beauty that nature creates, rather than something man made.

Some rocks must be really stimmy, each one has their unique properties. Your criteria sounds really cool, you are always in search of the perfect rock. I thought your passion must be a sensory thing, maybe our different sensory experience makes us appreciate the beauty of nature more. There is so much diversity in the natural world, so you can find joy in the smallest of things.

I have researched and I agree Australian opals, particularly the Yowah Nut is stunning. It’s beautiful.

This is a picture just because it’s beautiful.

Your collection of rocks and minerals will look great on your display shelf. 

You are welcome for the link. You may be interested in the podcast Aucademy run called Especially Interesting. You can just info dump to other autistic people about your love of Australian opals. I am sure other people will be interested.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, it is very much appreciated.

• I do. I’m always in pursuit of the best shape, size and texture for each specific mineral or rock. I never know what that is, but I have a criteria that fits each individual rock and I know it when I see it. It’s a very sensory thing for me. I think it demonstrates the beauty that nature creates, rather than something man made.

Some rocks must be really stimmy, each one has their unique properties. Your criteria sounds really cool, you are always in search of the perfect rock. I thought your passion must be a sensory thing, maybe our different sensory experience makes us appreciate the beauty of nature more. There is so much diversity in the natural world, so you can find joy in the smallest of things.

I have researched and I agree Australian opals, particularly the Yowah Nut is stunning. It’s beautiful.

This is a picture just because it’s beautiful.

Your collection of rocks and minerals will look great on your display shelf. 

You are welcome for the link. You may be interested in the podcast Aucademy run called Especially Interesting. You can just info dump to other autistic people about your love of Australian opals. I am sure other people will be interested.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, it is very much appreciated.

Children
No Data