Sleep problems

I seem to be struggling to sleep at all at the moment I’m not falling asleep until gone 2am even though I got to bed about 10. Then I’m waking up at 5am for work or 6am if I’m not at work. Im exhausted all the time but I’m not napping either and I don’t know what to do. I can’t seem to shut my brain off or get comfortable. I have a drs appointment soon mid august for my mental health so I’m going to ask if there’s anything she can suggest but I just don’t know what to do. It’s been happening for 3 weeks now I always have a headache too. 

Parents
  • Don’t feel you have to sleep in bed. If you drift off on the sofa, so be it. Any sleep is better than none at all, so game it while you can.

i didn’t think you should get up and do something, it often makes things worse. Have a cocoa or something an hour before bed, with low lighting and no screens, if you want, read a book. That’s might help you nod off.

You could try listening to a sleep yoga Nidra YouTube video or podcast, so you can follow along in bed. Some give you a feeling of having rested, and some guide you to sleep.

Do you use earplugs? That was the first thing I tried, and I slept a little better once I got used to them.

Lastly, have you tried a weighted blanket? I have found that my sleep has improved now that I have one. I might sleep 5 - 6 hours if I’m lucky. Previous to the blanket, I would wake after 3 hours, and lie there until 6 and have to get up. I still wake, but it’s less, and more to do with heightened anxiousness at the moment along with the hot weather.

• Don’t feel you have to sleep in bed. If you drift off on the sofa, so be it. Any sleep is better than none at all, so game it while you can.

i didn’t think you should get up and do something, it often makes things worse. Have a cocoa or something an hour before bed, with low lighting and no screens, if you want, read a book. That’s might help you nod off.

You could try listening to a sleep yoga Nidra YouTube video or podcast, so you can follow along in bed. Some give you a feeling of having rested, and some guide you to sleep.

Do you use earplugs? That was the first thing I tried, and I slept a little better once I got used to them.

Lastly, have you tried a weighted blanket? I have found that my sleep has improved now that I have one. I might sleep 5 - 6 hours if I’m lucky. Previous to the blanket, I would wake after 3 hours, and lie there until 6 and have to get up. I still wake, but it’s less, and more to do with heightened anxiousness at the moment along with the hot weather.

Children