Help Pls

Hello, I'm new to the world of autism. I'm not actually diagnosed quite yet but I am almost positive I'm on the spectrum. I've done online tests and each one agreed I was likely autistic and I've read up on it so many times and I have a lot of traits that match up. I'm tempted to go private, the waiting is causing distress to me and I have a lot else on my plate at the same time and struggle to balance it all out. 

That is one of my questions which I am hoping you can advise me on. Should I continue waiting or go private for the diagnosis? I'm not sure if it will be any faster and also if it's as good as the NHS. I went private for dentist before lockdown and I found it was worse. Not sure what to do here.

My other problem is anxiety. I'm constantly anxious and I read up on it and read about things to do like breathing exercises but they didn't work for me. I also tried yoga and that didn't work either. Any advice for this is welcome.

Last is sleeping. I don't sleep much. I get about three hours and then I'm awake again and feel refreshed. I spend most of the night awake doing things I also do during the day. But I don't think it's insomnia because I feel awake, it's not like I'm dead tired all the time. Has anyone else been like this? 

If it's ok to do so I'm going to continue posting my journey here.

Parents
  • Private might be your answer, but bare in mind a few things.

1) Check out with your Trust what the policy is if you get a private assessment.  Mine will not re-assess anyone who has a private assessment but will not provide post diagnostic support either.  Some areas I hear will only accept NHS diagnosis, others it makes no difference.  This is of course all nuts.  What matters, or should matter is that you get one that has been properly done.  However, whatever your local answer is will feed your decision, I'm sure.

2) As with dentists; private can be way better than the NHS or indeed worse. Just as some NHS services are excellent in some post codes and rubbish in others.  I've heard poor tales of some NHS diagnostic services, but also met with private clinical psychologists who genuinely do know what they are talking about, who have been called upon to sort out some shoddily done assessments either telling people they are autistic when they aren't, or aren't when they are which were done privately.  So, moral of the story is really check out the qualification set and experience of the person and their reputation. 

Personally, I went with the NAS's own diagnostic service; the Lorna Wing Centre, so I knew I was in the hands of the best. And they were excellent!  Although private, they too had a waiting list, albeit much shorted than the NHS.

3) If you do go private, I wouldn't leave the NHS waiting list until you have had your private assessment and are happy it's right.

• I just sent an email to the Lorna Wing Centre. Hopefully I will hear back soon.

• The Lorna Wing Centre really are the best. The are in the vanguard of the latest understanding. The are expert in subtler presentations and co-morbidities and yes, they are absolutely lovely to talk to. You couldn't be in better hands.

The bad news is, because they really are top of their game, so every body wants their service, and because of the pandemic, they were having a problem with their wait times, albeit no where near as bad as the NHS. I hope they are clearing the back log so they can see you sooner rather than later.

I waited 10 months. It would have been years on the NHS and my problem was too immediate for that. 

You will find providers who could do it sooner again, but frankly the ones with the good reputations are the ones who have the longer wait times.

Personally, I'd recommend the Lorna Wing Centre even if you do wait a little while, because in the end you will know it was done right.

And yes, you will find them very patient.

Good luck

• They do certainly sound the best out there. Everyone sings their praises and I had another email come in and a woman would like to have a chat with me so that sounds promising, unless I'm getting my hopes up here and expecting too much.

I guess I will wait and see what happens during our chat. I mean, I'd prefer Lorna Wing Centre as it's very close and you and everyone else recommend it above all others. So it's ideal.

My anxiety is very bad today. I have a public event to go to which will involve a lot of people and interaction, not my strong suit at all. And all this business fries me. 

I'll keep you posted on how it all goes.

Thanks Dawn.

• They do certainly sound the best out there. Everyone sings their praises and I had another email come in and a woman would like to have a chat with me so that sounds promising, unless I'm getting my hopes up here and expecting too much.

I guess I will wait and see what happens during our chat. I mean, I'd prefer Lorna Wing Centre as it's very close and you and everyone else recommend it above all others. So it's ideal.

My anxiety is very bad today. I have a public event to go to which will involve a lot of people and interaction, not my strong suit at all. And all this business fries me. 

I'll keep you posted on how it all goes.

Thanks Dawn.

Children
No Data