Hypersensitive to voices at night

Hey all, first post here but after attempts at asking other people and getting the same response every time ("have you tried earplugs?") I thought I would ask a group that might actually relate to me :,,)

I've always found it difficult to get to sleep, but ever since I've moved out for uni and been in shared accommodation, I find it near impossible to fall asleep when I have neighbours talking. I'm naturally an early bird, and feel best when I'm up and about at dawn, but unfortunately everyone I have been sharing flats and houses with are the polar opposite, preferring to be up late into the night (think anywhere between 1-4am). In my first year this resulted in me having to move from a shared flat to a studio flat at my own expense because the guys on either side of me would be up until 4am consistently and it was taking a hUge toll on my mental health.

I'm currently in a house with people who are generally very quiet but sometimes are also up on calls which I can hear through the walls. They're never super loud but my dumb brain now fixated on any voice I can hear and man it's awful. I lie awake getting sick with anxiety and growing increasingly frustrated, whilst being exhausted at the same time.

So I'm wondering if there's anything you guys have found that works in situations like this? I've tried earplugs but deep male voices can still get through them. I've taken sleep medication when I am literally at my wits end (sometimes I feel like I'm going to hurt myself out of frustration) but obviously that's no good to take in the long run so I've only had them a few occasions. Blasting white noise at full volume through my headphones used to be the only thing that would block out all types of voices and therefore actually let me relax and lower my heartrate enough to fall asleep, but that's no good for my eardrums and I often woke up uncomfortable with my headphones digging into my back or something lol

I've seen there are white noise machines out there- are they any good and worth the investment? And if there's any method of taking attention away from small sounds then please tell me your secrets because I'm desperate :)))

Thank you so much for reading and I appreciate any and all advice x

Parents
  • Finally, are you getting enough exercise? Join a uni walking group (or Ramblers/ local one) or other activity. Social, nature, all good. You may then be too tired to stay awake at night. Or take a long walk daily. Eat healthily. I am talking like a mamma, but I care. Ignore all that doesn't fit.

• Finally, are you getting enough exercise? Join a uni walking group (or Ramblers/ local one) or other activity. Social, nature, all good. You may then be too tired to stay awake at night. Or take a long walk daily. Eat healthily. I am talking like a mamma, but I care. Ignore all that doesn't fit.

Children
No Data