Over Eating

Hi all,

I am new to the discussions group.  Just wondering if anyone suffers from overeating/binge eating or just a bad relationship with food.

Long story short.  I have had eating issues from the age of 15 (I am now 46) diagnosed with Asperger's In January of this year and just cannot get to a place where i am happy with my eating.  I eat when i am happy, sad, stressed you name it i eat.  I have been under various therapists for my eating and can go 12 - 18 months at a time where my eating is really good but then i fall off the wagon and go back to my old habbits.  I have even tried Over Eaters Anonymous!!  

Any advice, tips on how an Aspie can just be at peace with food.  

thanks in advance

Dawn 

Parents
  • In my experience, I struggle with over eating occasionally because I'm bored, and more often than not, I'm alone.

Olfactory (smells and tastes) stimulation gives way to just eating, and then becomes the dominant principle. I have found, that eating in the company of others, at a table without other distractions like TV or radio, works best. 

Having a routine for eating is also really important, because if I don't structure my eating correctly, I find that I will eat whenever I want and frequently I will eat to excess.

I have recently been cutting down my portion sizes to try and let my stomach shrink to a size where I notice that I'm full after a standard sized meal. 

• In my experience, I struggle with over eating occasionally because I'm bored, and more often than not, I'm alone.

Olfactory (smells and tastes) stimulation gives way to just eating, and then becomes the dominant principle. I have found, that eating in the company of others, at a table without other distractions like TV or radio, works best. 

Having a routine for eating is also really important, because if I don't structure my eating correctly, I find that I will eat whenever I want and frequently I will eat to excess.

I have recently been cutting down my portion sizes to try and let my stomach shrink to a size where I notice that I'm full after a standard sized meal. 

Children
No Data