aspergers and chronic constipation

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone else out there has a problem with a child on the spectrum and constipation issues.  my son has had chronic constipation controled by medicine, currently Dulcolax since he was three! he is now six and although mainly under control with the medicine i worry what long term effect this could have.  his diet is ok, could be better but he is a picky eater, i guess it goes hand in hand with Aspergers!  He was ill with a really bad cold last week missed one day of trying for the toilet and went to day nine of no go!  He was in tears scared of trying, really upsetting for me we have this two - four times each year usually following a bout of illness, but he is on Dulcolax constantly normally low dosage until these occasions occur!  strangley my husband who we now recognise as having Aspergers suffered the same thing as a child.

I am getting my son refferred back to the hospital for his constipation as the medicine does not seem to work as well as it use to, not surprisingly!  But i wonder if he needs more help not just medicine as it seems to me it is mind over matter with my son, On day seven of having not gone to the toilet he said " i think day ten will be the day, it was lucky before"!  so he seems to hold on till then !  What can i do.  he just does not seem to understand the problem.  He may also be very sensitive to pain not the usual under sensitivity noted with Aspergers. 

Any advice much appreciated.

Parents Reply Children
No Data