Appropriate Housing

Hi,

I'm looking for some feedback concerning accommodation and my rights I suppose.

I am on the autism spectrum and as some of you may know it can be quite a struggle. I don't really get along with people very well, as much as I have tried in my life. I am awkward to say the least. I also struggle very much from sensory overload, noise being top of that list. I have always struggled to live in flats/apartments and the everyday noise that comes with them. There's more but my main point for this post is noise.

My partner is bipolar. She had her first psychotic episode just before her 30th birthday, it's been 11 years since. She has had multiple episodes these last few years. Some of which just happened unfortunately but two were down to stress.

My partner lived at home when she first became ill but that was no longer possible as her mother developed dementia and moved into long term care.

So, with the help of my partner's social worker, we managed to get a one bedroom council flat. It's been a nightmare ever since for us both. 3 going on 4 years. Why? The upstairs neighbour, a Phil Mitchell clone. He has mental health issues and to cope he shouts, paces, slams doors, constant noise (keeping busy) and drinks.

One example of many....For the first 18 months he played talk radio full blast from 8:30am until mid afternoon when his son got home, he would angrily shout whilst stomping from room to room, slamming doors. His son moved out and finally he stopped with the radio but in it's place he would play video games and shout for hours on end. Not a little bit, it was at the top of his lungs and for hours on end. I've never known someone to be so loud and angry. (video games after he had spent most of the day shouting, stomping etc)

We tried talking many times but it falls on deaf ears. We had considered complaining to the council. However, after talking to the neighbours it didn't seem a good idea, as the previous tenant found out when he complained. Upstairs  just got worse and other people got involved, apparently it got very nasty. All the while the council seemed oblivious.

My partner's mental health is like a bell curve. She will seem to cope for a few days and then get very depressed. Up and down. This WILL lead to another psychotic episode.

I am "shut down" much of the time and am fairly depressed. Life is bad.

We have had enough of it and made a housing application with the local council. We backed up our reasons why with letters of support. My letter was from the person who diagnosed me as high functioning autistic, cant thank her enough for the letter. My partner had a letter from an NHS psychologist who reviews her situation on a regular basis.

We were awarded the lowest band from the council. I contacted them quite a few times asking if they could state why we had the low band, so that I could then use those reasons to form an appeal. All I got from them was, "You have no housing need".

Citizen's advice haven't been much help. I've been given a few links to housing associations, which I will chase up.

I understand there is a bit of a housing crisis these days. However, I do feel we have a genuine case for rehousing.

I'm at a loss.