Sensitivity to Medication

I have found that I have always had hypersensitivity to any medication that I have been given through my life.

I need far less of a medication for it to work. Often I have to halve a dosage of anything that a doctor prescribes.

Taking the 'normal' dosage causes side effects. Having observed this and explored it further over the years, I find it to hold true for any medication.

I wanted to ask if anyone else has found this?

If this is one of the hypersensitivities of autistic people or if it's just me?

Parents
  • I have had very bad reactions to blood pressure medication throughout my life, when the side effects get bad, I ask my doctor to move me to a different type.  

Both my father and sister have also experienced similar reactions.

List of symptoms include: headaches, loss of feeling in extremities such as fingers and toes, persistent coughs, nausea, extreme stomach pains.

• I forgot to add, I also suffered from anaemia for a couple of years.

Originally I went to the GP complaining about getting very tired very quickly.

After many tests I was diagnosed as anaemic.  

After more tests they discovered that my anaemia was caused by a severe iron deficiency.  This was despite eating meat and a well balanced diet.  I was prescribed daily iron tablets. Their taste was disgusting.

Then I discovered by reading the patient leaflet on my blood pressure tablets that iron deficiency and anaemia were common side effects.

I stopped taking both the blood pressure tablets and the iron tablets.  After a couple of months my energy levels were back to normal.

• I forgot to add, I also suffered from anaemia for a couple of years.

Originally I went to the GP complaining about getting very tired very quickly.

After many tests I was diagnosed as anaemic.  

After more tests they discovered that my anaemia was caused by a severe iron deficiency.  This was despite eating meat and a well balanced diet.  I was prescribed daily iron tablets. Their taste was disgusting.

Then I discovered by reading the patient leaflet on my blood pressure tablets that iron deficiency and anaemia were common side effects.

I stopped taking both the blood pressure tablets and the iron tablets.  After a couple of months my energy levels were back to normal.

Children
No Data