Suitable toys for 8 y/o non-verbal autistic child?

Hi all,

My neighbours have two boys, both of which are non-verbal. They're obviously having a difficult time at the moment, understimulated as there's nowhere to take them, and I found out today local education services only give him one hour a day (there's just no spaces at the learning difficulties school due to funding shortages).

So, I want to buy some fun toys for them. But, I have no idea where to start! I had a good chat with father today re noise (yes it's highly annoying but I have Aspergers myself, went to a learning difficulties school and deeply sympathise) and he advised that he is quite destructive, can be aggressive, so obviously anything weighty that either child could brain each other with is out of the question. He likes to bang on things, so I was going to get him a wee set of bongos or something, but obviously after consideration wouldn't be suitable.

Hoping someone on here has some suggestions. I'm a musician starving for my craft (one look at my current waistline would reveal that to be a lie), seriously though I don't have a massive budget but could go up to £50.

Parents
  • A small electronic piano.  Doesnt have to be massive, but if they can play it, it may help stimulate them.  Don't know whether it would handle being bashed continually.  How about something they can brain each other with that isnt heavy, like a foam baseball bat. Stuck out tongue  But seriously, maybe a foam football they can kick around.  If they can read, maybe a book.

• That's a great idea, I'm sure he could find something to bash with a foam bat that would break but it'd be far less destructive / noisy than his usual choice of weapon. Though, whether he appreciates the lack of sound will be another thing haha.

Thanks

• That's a great idea, I'm sure he could find something to bash with a foam bat that would break but it'd be far less destructive / noisy than his usual choice of weapon. Though, whether he appreciates the lack of sound will be another thing haha.

Thanks

Children
No Data