Medical Phobias and Access to Mental and Physical Health Care

Any one else out there struggling to deal with body or medical phobias?  Possibly provoking melt downs and making it difficult to receive treatment.

Are you able to get any help in coping?

Have you found any solutions?  What works?

Parents
  • Oh my God!  Then I am really not the only one.  I am recognising ALL of this.

BTW Data is one of favourite Star Trek characters.  I wonder why that is?  Lol

• The biggest problem is my bright, cheery persona and eloquent, never-changing voice - it makes them think nothing is wrong.     It's a well-known fact that because of this communication problem, ASD people are often denied pain killers until it so severe our mask can't hide it any longer.

I am literally like Data - I have an eidetic memory and I know everything about everything.    Total nerd.

• LOL.  The memory thing seems to be one of the few traits I don't appear to have.  Shame.  If I have to have the detriments, I want all the good bits too.  I do have Data like analytical skills though.

Did you get any help, other than from your wife, to manage these situations?  I'm sick of doctors shouting at me because I can't comply and my husband is worn out trying to negotiate with medical people whilst also managing my hysteria.

• I just wish I could climb outside the body and park in the hospital like a car at the garage I can come and collect later so I don't have to feel anything at all, lol.

Me too!   Smiley

• Boo hoo on the knee would be okish.  Covid jab didn't bother me much. But anything invasive or anything causes me to be aware of my body... That the rub, I am as afraid of my own body as I am of anyone doing anything to it. It becomes a vicious cycle. 

I just wish I could climb outside the body and park in the hospital like a car at the garage I can come and collect later so I don't have to feel anything at all, lol.

• Boo hoo on the knee would be okish.  Covid jab didn't bother me much. But anything invasive or anything causes me to be aware of my body... That the rub, I am as afraid of my own body as I am of anyone doing anything to it. It becomes a vicious cycle. 

I just wish I could climb outside the body and park in the hospital like a car at the garage I can come and collect later so I don't have to feel anything at all, lol.

Children