HELP!!! Shutdowns?

I need help... 

My teen shutdowns quite often. Some days they are quite severe and others aren't as bad. She was always shutting down in school nearly everyday. That was the first time I heard about them and I still have no clue what they are. Can anyone explain? I feel like an awful mother not understanding my child. 

How can I help her during one? 

Thanks x 

Parents
  • During lessons it could help to take preventative measures to not overload the senses and processing times so earplugs can be great, there are also starting to be some improving technology interventions like earbuds that can dim background noise, such as from Nuheara, subtitles can be good where possible to support verbal information that's missed if it's too fast, being spoken to more slowly where possible or getting into the habit of making notes whenever she's spoken to, maybe tinted glasses for light, spending breaks quietly maybe reading somewhere or if there is a nook she can go to to daydream for 15 minutes. Also structure can be great for having a safety net to fall back on such as her keeping a diary / planner with all of the school day's timings and tasks, and a smart watch or phone reminders could be good for scheduling.

• Thanks Rach. I will see what the school can do to help her. 

Reply Children
No Data