'Don't Be Nice...'

Hi,

I tend to end up feeling teary and emotional when someone is nice to me, whether I have done something good or have been told off by someone for doing something wrong. Anyway to stop this, because it does feel embarrassing for me to be like this as an adult. 

Any advice about how to stop this?

• I also kind of feel weird when getting compliments and definitely cry when being told off... But for the compliments and someone being nice to me one, I've found it helpful to kind of detach myself from what they're saying a little bit. I don't know if that's the best way, but it helps me. So I kind of look at a point just next to the person's head, smile and think 'Ah, something good has happened and they're appreciating it.' This helps, for example, when someone says I did really well at work today. Even when someone says something like, 'You're really nice' I think 'Ah, they've appreciated something.' So it kind of makes me just rationalise why they're saying the nice thing and the effect on them, rather than having to think about me and then I get squirmy and feel uncomfortable.

I do also appreciate them saying the nice things. Like, after-the-fact, it is definitely a boost to my confidence. Just in the moment, similarly to what you're saying, I can automatically want to give an embarrassing response like crying or wanting to get away from the situation.

Don't know if it's the same for you, but thought I'd share anyway.

• That's very true. I did a long verbal pause when I got an apology for being shouted at, but I did not realise that it could be something that stops this, and I went away for a cry. Thank you for your comment, especially with the gif!

• I tend to end up feeling teary and emotional when someone is nice to me

Limit the amount of time they communicate with you. Long verbal pauses break up conversations quickly. Much safer than freaking them out with strong emotions.