In hospital with COVID

Hi,

In case anyone is wondering what I have been up to, for just over a week, I have been in a local hospital battling COVID. Luckily, I now seem to be on the mend. However I think that the environment is getting to me.

Before now, I have never been an inpatient even for a night. I have actually found it very distressing.

I spent a week in Critical Care mostly wearing an Oxygen hood. I freaked out a couple of nights. I am now in Respiratory, the place you go before discharging. Almost as though to mock me, an enhancement patient has been placed in the bed right next to mine. He is up most of the night moaning and talking rubbish which keeps me awake. I am trying to get as much rest as possible so that I will be ready for discharge.

Parents
  • Sorry to hear that you've been ill, I hope you recover swiftly. 

I can appreciate how you feel.  I have had many illnesses requiring hospital stays over the years and I have adapted to the environment. 

Good points are, providing you're not too ill, free meals, I'm an awful cook and I find hospital food to be better than what I'm capable of cooking.  Also a comfortable bed.  You save on your home heating costs.

Bad points are, being moved from ward to ward with very little notice. I even got transferred once to another hospital with no warning.  And off course the other patients can be a pain,  once I was in a ward with a dementia patient who couldn't sleep, didn't know where he was and got into other people's beds, he even attacked another patient and had to be sedated.

Another thing I hate about hospitals is the smell of their disinfectant.  I realise that it is needed because the alternative is worse, but I still hate it.  Yesterday I started using a new bottle of hand wash that claims to have the flavour of Almond milk.  All I can smell is hospital disinfectant. 

• Sorry to hear that you've been ill, I hope you recover swiftly. 

I can appreciate how you feel.  I have had many illnesses requiring hospital stays over the years and I have adapted to the environment. 

Good points are, providing you're not too ill, free meals, I'm an awful cook and I find hospital food to be better than what I'm capable of cooking.  Also a comfortable bed.  You save on your home heating costs.

Bad points are, being moved from ward to ward with very little notice. I even got transferred once to another hospital with no warning.  And off course the other patients can be a pain,  once I was in a ward with a dementia patient who couldn't sleep, didn't know where he was and got into other people's beds, he even attacked another patient and had to be sedated.

Another thing I hate about hospitals is the smell of their disinfectant.  I realise that it is needed because the alternative is worse, but I still hate it.  Yesterday I started using a new bottle of hand wash that claims to have the flavour of Almond milk.  All I can smell is hospital disinfectant. 

Children
No Data