Coping with Covid-19

I'm currently in self-isolation and I know that many of us are feeling anxious/isolated, so I thought I'd share a really useful video by Purple Ella on coping with the Covid-19 pandemic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpvdMVnfGs&t=12s

Here are some tips for activities that have been keeping me busy while I self-isolate:

• Housework (especially the jobs that I've been putting off for a while)
  • Creative writing
  • Reading
  • Watching TV shows and films
  • Playing video games
  • Playing piano
  • Adult colouring books
  • Puzzle books/activity books
  • Keeping in touch with people via social media, or over the phone
  • I'm intending to use a fitness app I have to help me with some exercise, but I haven't got around to that yet Slight smile

Also, some advice on how I'm helping myself stay healthy:

• Drinking plenty of water
  • Continuing to wear my Fitbit so that I notice when I'm not moving around often enough
  • Eating three good meals a day
  • Treating myself (e.g. to a piece of cake) when I feel like it, without going overboard on the snacks
  • Limiting the amount of time I spend on social media and news channels - whilst the Covid-19 updates are helpful, a constant stream of information (some accurate, some not) isn't always helpful for my anxiety levels.

I hope some of these tips are helpful - stay safe and take care of yourselves.

Parents
  • Being alone is no problem for me.

I have hundreds of books and DVDs to keep me busy.

My worry is food.

If I get the government letter ordering to self isolate for 12 weeks, then I'm dead.  I've only got four weeks of food in my flat.

The government warns us not to panic buy and then advises us to stay indoors at home for 12 weeks.

We need to panic buy to enable us to survive isolated at home for 12 weeks!

• The supermarkets an issue as we were running low in the house then went into isolation as I'm quite ill. Their not testing so I've just got inhalors and 7 tablets a day! I'm up now at 3.30 as I'm struggling to breath again but it seems to be improving. I've been ill for about 2 weeks now! It would be good to know if I have covid as I can help others when I'm better. I had a head injury and didnt realise that made me more susceptible to illness. What ever I have it's awful. Want this over :( 

• I hope you feel better soon. There's an online NHS 111 survey with Covid-19 related questions, which then gives you the specific advice you need to follow. I know it's not a diagnosis, but I did the survey when I had a fever and found it helpful.

Take care of yourself. 

• I hope you feel better soon. There's an online NHS 111 survey with Covid-19 related questions, which then gives you the specific advice you need to follow. I know it's not a diagnosis, but I did the survey when I had a fever and found it helpful.

Take care of yourself. 

Children
  • It sounds like that was all really tough to deal with. Please don't apologise - we all need to talk sometimes. 

I'm really glad you're feeling more positive today. Hope you feel better soon xx

• Update, I'm alot more positive today. I've found that if I lay still, propped up on pillows and my heat mat on my back and drink loads and dont talk. It helps tonnes. Still struggling but loads easier than yesterday. Sorry I was a moaner xx

• Sorry that posted before I finished. Breathing has been such hard work, I've not slept properly in days. I asked if I was panicking also or a chest infection as the breathing issue comes in waves. He thinks it's the virus but they only test on icu. He listened to my lungs etc said I'm healthy enough to fight this at home. I cried was almost at meltdown but knew its be even harder to breath. I'm so tired right now. I've been indoors around 2 weeks. Online shopping has been hard, getting an emergency inhalor from the pharmacy after being told none of us could leave the house was hard as they told me to collect it myself regardless. Sorry to moan I'm not coping. Breathing is alot better today so if it is the virus I'm winning. I'm asthmatic so I guess it's why I'm so bad. I tried ordering plants online as it's my special interest but online shopping has become impossible. Everything's wrong right now

• Hi both. I was actually very sick so havent been able to reply. My lungs were struggling I wont go into to much info but 111 called 999 and a paramedic came out. I had collapsed with weakness and turned blue but as im not vulnerable I should be able to fight the virus. Through gasps I explained why I dont think its covid. Ie I've had temp one day then chills etc. But he seemed to think it was. I'm so not coping at all to be honest. 

• I used the online version. How are you feeling today?

• Dont ring 111 unless you meet the criteria like fever and cough for 7 days and getting worse.

If you need general help, use the online service.  If not you will have to battle with 100s of people in front of you in the queue.

I had the need to contact the out of hours doctor on the weekend for an ear infection (and a need for antibiotics), when I rang in I was told the queue was over 50, which I think is code for the max they will ever say is its over 50, there was probably far more than that.  I went to 111.nhs.uk, filled in the forms and a doctor called me back 3 hours later.  it took 5 mins to do the online questions.  Took 20+ mins on the phone with the doctor and 20 mins at tesco to get the scrip filled.

Are you thinking you have Covid, mouse2?

• Their awful I phoned them twice. They didnt listen just read a script. I could hardly speak at the time as was struggling for breath as well. Gp gave me tablets and inhalors as he could hear me wheeze over the phone and breathless. I think I'm at day 10 its getting worse

• Indeed. I think a lot of people who are self-isolating probably don't have it, but they can't be sure. Once we get more testing available, it will set a lot of people's minds at rest.