Coping with Covid-19

I'm currently in self-isolation and I know that many of us are feeling anxious/isolated, so I thought I'd share a really useful video by Purple Ella on coping with the Covid-19 pandemic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpvdMVnfGs&t=12s

Here are some tips for activities that have been keeping me busy while I self-isolate:

• Housework (especially the jobs that I've been putting off for a while)
  • Creative writing
  • Reading
  • Watching TV shows and films
  • Playing video games
  • Playing piano
  • Adult colouring books
  • Puzzle books/activity books
  • Keeping in touch with people via social media, or over the phone
  • I'm intending to use a fitness app I have to help me with some exercise, but I haven't got around to that yet Slight smile

Also, some advice on how I'm helping myself stay healthy:

• Drinking plenty of water
  • Continuing to wear my Fitbit so that I notice when I'm not moving around often enough
  • Eating three good meals a day
  • Treating myself (e.g. to a piece of cake) when I feel like it, without going overboard on the snacks
  • Limiting the amount of time I spend on social media and news channels - whilst the Covid-19 updates are helpful, a constant stream of information (some accurate, some not) isn't always helpful for my anxiety levels.

I hope some of these tips are helpful - stay safe and take care of yourselves.

Parents
  • I have to say i am barely coping at present.  The anxiety is getting too much and the darker thoughts started to creep in not long back.  The problem today is I didnt work out, but did do some housework.  So tonight I am flipping out quite a lot.  Ordinarily my routine involves 2 hours at the gym everyday, but thats gone to hell due to all of this.  i have built a home gym so I can work out a little if I want.  i need to find some stuff to do to keep me sane.  Your list is pretty good DuckBread.

Another major source of worry is my parents and their health.  Today my father took me to the hospital to pick up a prescription and when i went to get it done at a tesco chemist, he left the car and went to the cash machine.  This has spiked my anxiety levels considerably.  he did wash his hands when we got home, but tbh the car is now contaminated as far as im concerned and needs cleaning.  Oh and the look on the NHS staff's faces when I picke dthe scrip up.  I did wear a mask and gloves, but the look screamed fear.

I just want this to end.  I have no idea how long I can continue with it all.  When they said 3 months that was fine, but now they are talking years in isolation and I see people all over the place just going around doing what the hell they want regardless of the consequences.  More stress.  Hit the benzos tonight and its lessened things a little, but not brilliantly.  Maybe its time to up the dose a bit.

• Sorry to hear you're struggling. I think the lack of routine makes it really difficult to cope. If it helps at all, I created a weekly timetable for myself last night (allocating time for things like housework, cleaning, exercise, relaxation, creative pursuits, learning new things etc.). I've actually found it really helpful to have a guide to refer back to when I'm feeling a bit lost as to what I want to do next. I really rely on my routines, so creating a new one has been comforting.

I'm struggling with contamination fears too. It sounds like you're taking all the precautions you can, so all you can do is follow the government guidance and focus on controlling the things you can control. I know that's really easy to say (and I'm finding it challenging myself), but you really are doing your best, so it might be worth trying to find other ways to manage your anxiety (like exercising in your home gym).

You're not on your own - lots of us are really struggling. We can't control what other people do, unfortunately, but I'm hoping people will start taking this more seriously, especially if the government implement stricter measures. Please take care of yourself and talk to others (virtually, or in person if you live with them) whenever you need to. You might find The Samaritans helpful if you'd rather not talk to anyone else.

We'll get through this - try to focus on the small steps you can take to adjust to what's going on and look after your wellbeing.

• Sorry to hear you're struggling. I think the lack of routine makes it really difficult to cope. If it helps at all, I created a weekly timetable for myself last night (allocating time for things like housework, cleaning, exercise, relaxation, creative pursuits, learning new things etc.). I've actually found it really helpful to have a guide to refer back to when I'm feeling a bit lost as to what I want to do next. I really rely on my routines, so creating a new one has been comforting.

I'm struggling with contamination fears too. It sounds like you're taking all the precautions you can, so all you can do is follow the government guidance and focus on controlling the things you can control. I know that's really easy to say (and I'm finding it challenging myself), but you really are doing your best, so it might be worth trying to find other ways to manage your anxiety (like exercising in your home gym).

You're not on your own - lots of us are really struggling. We can't control what other people do, unfortunately, but I'm hoping people will start taking this more seriously, especially if the government implement stricter measures. Please take care of yourself and talk to others (virtually, or in person if you live with them) whenever you need to. You might find The Samaritans helpful if you'd rather not talk to anyone else.

We'll get through this - try to focus on the small steps you can take to adjust to what's going on and look after your wellbeing.

Children
No Data