Nutrition (very restricted diet)

Hi all. 

I look after a young person with ASD and GDD. Their diet is very restricted. Only white bread/ wraps/ bagels and yoghurt/ milkshakes or apple juice. 

Any advice for over coming this or products on the market that include protien and vitamins that may fit in with such a restricted diet?

Thanks in advance

Parents
  • Hi there, 

Thanks so much for your reply. We eat together every night (6 of us at the kitchen table) and he is never curious to try what we are having even though he is offered regularly. He seems to be able to cope with smells of what we are having and I've not heard him complain about this . He has no meat in his diet whatsoever other than a rare McDonalds chicken nugget. 

• Hi there, 

Thanks so much for your reply. We eat together every night (6 of us at the kitchen table) and he is never curious to try what we are having even though he is offered regularly. He seems to be able to cope with smells of what we are having and I've not heard him complain about this . He has no meat in his diet whatsoever other than a rare McDonalds chicken nugget. 

Children
  • has no meat in his diet whatsoever other than a rare McDonalds chicken nugget. 

Greetings. I support MrRobert123, of course. & I have other advice (tactics) which to add...

First of all... try different types of meat WRAPPED IN PASTRY.

If this fails, try different types of POULTRY (Turkey, Duck, Game, etc.)... also wrapped/coated in pastry.

Also... You do not here mention Your child's reaction to FISH...? (wrapped in pastry, e.g. Fish Pies.)

All in all, By process of elimination, rather than, say *just asking* (...)... You may determine if your child is a closet Vegetarian/Vegan... or not. (Or whether they like the taste of pastry first before the meat in "bite", as with the "nuggets".)

If all of the above fails, then simply try protein sources such as Quorn or "Veggie Burgers" --- there are a LOT of these out there. There are even "vegetarian" Restaurants out there. There is so much support towards vegetarians & Vegans, that You should have no trouble at all --- the main thing is to ASK anyone, and/or find out which/what/where they are.

...Good Luck!