Strategies for beating depression

This week I have found myself suddenly feeling extremely low and genuinely struggle to get out of bed and face the day. I'm not sure if its just one of those periodic dips on the mental rollercoaster of life or if its some kind of reaction as I was at an uncles funeral last Friday and there was a huge amount of people both there and at the wake. It was horribly loud for several hours in the pub but I thought I'd toughed it out by studying the wood grain on the table.

Anyways with the situation being set I was wondering if anyone had any good strategies for climbing out of these low patches, or if its just something I need to wait out (thats the way I normally handle things like this).

The odd thing from my point of view is that For a couple of years now I've been interested in Japan, and after getting a book for Christmas (Japanese from zero!) I've actually made an effort to start learning this last week or so, and have had some moments feeling that buzz of excitement and victory at learning something new but still find myself starting from the pit again the next day when I wake up.To put it bluntly it sucks and clawing my way up to being functional rather than sitting staring at nothing is taking hours I could be doing stuff with...

• Hi, Kras83. I'm really sorry to hear about your uncle.

I'm also struggling with depression and finding it really tough to motivate myself. Learning Japanese sounds like a great start. I'm just trying to take small steps to improve my overall wellbeing (like eating better, trying to get the right amount of sleep, making time for the things I enjoy etc.). I'm not getting it right every day, but I'm trying, and that's the main thing.