Feeding my son

Hi, I'm looking for some advice for my 14 year old son who has ASD! He has huge issues with food, and is getting worse as he gets older. His diet consists of microwave chips, chicken nuggets, white bread, super noodles and bagels. In his lunch box he will eat one apple and one yoghurt but only if he is in school. He will only eat one brand of chicken nuggets, and only eats certain chips in certain family members houses (our home, grandparents home and great grandmothers house). It is becoming increasingly difficult to feed him. He will literally live on carbs. We are at breaking point at the moment. He does no physical activity so his weight is rocketing. 

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any advice or tips would be extremely appreciated! 

• That's wonderful. Thank you very much 

Gemma

• Hi NAS36510,

There is an advice page here on the NAS site about issues around food, that you can find here - https://www.autism.org.uk/about/health/eating.aspx - which offers some advice on how to try and communicate changes in diet to children, underlying environmental, sensory and social factors that might play a role in picky eating, and different strategies to try and control portion sizes and help your child accept a more varied diet. There are also links to other resources from the NHS and books that NAS recommends on the subject. Hopefully there might be something here that will be able to help you.

Best wishes,

Ross - mod