Changes to adult social care

I am very concerned, as I am sure that many other people affected by autism will be, of changes to adult social care that are being put forward by Government. Recently I attended a protest outside County Council, protesting against a proposal to take away support from disabled adults who are deemed to have moderate needs. I have been classed as having substantial needs, but with some moderate elements, and I am very worried by these changes. I am aware that many councils already restrict support to those with substantial or critical needs, but this does not make it right to limit support in this way. Autism, and asperger's in particular, is a very complex disability and its presentation can often be subtle, hiding a very significant disability that can only be fully appreciated after someone has really got to know the individual concerned. Moreover, people with autism can have good days and bad days. THey may be 'moderate' part of the time, but if they experience any stress their condition can deteriorate to such an extent that they become critical in a very short space of time.

I do not believe that these changes have been fully thought through. THe changes will not save money. On the contrary, when support is taken away from people it is likely that many will end up in acute psychiatric care, which will be totally unnecessary as preventative care in the community would prevent the need for this, at far less expense.

I have a fantastic support package which has enabled me to undertake voluntary work and to be active in the community. Support helps me to live an independent and fulfilling life. I have no friends and no social network; without support I would be isolated. I dread to think what would happen if my support was decreased or even taken away. I need routine and security in life in order to function. The support has provided me with a safe security blanket from which I can test the waters and take a few independent risks. I volunteer at several places completely on my own because I know that I see a support worker at regular intervals who can provide me with reassurance. Support for me is a great enabler: it makes me more independent and provides me with a sense of control and structure.

I would love to hear from other people about the support they receive, and whether or not they are concerned by the proposed changes

Parents
  • Longman:

What do you expect Doctors to do for their Autistic patients.?

There is no medicine for Autism and groups for Autistic people are not normally organised by their GPS.

The appointment system is not good whether you are Autistic or not.

You could say it is good for Autistic people that they give you definet times to ring up but I want to change to a GP where you can make an appointment at any time in office hours.

Can one tell if someone is Autistic in five minutes.?

People have told me that the reason why I was not sent to Elliot House is because I am obviously Autistic.

As explained in my previous E Mail it was explained in 2009 by my GP.  the only thing they have on my records about Autism is a Consultant Psychiatrist Dr Samuel who visited me and my Parents once in 1976 when I was nineteen.

My GP also said that I have an Autistic manner.

Two years later I learned that Doctor Samuel died of a heart attack in the Hospital Swimming pool so he has been dead over thirty years.

His successor said at the first meeting that he did   not agree that I was Autistic and remove it from my records.

Well he obviously did not as my GP said that he has no record of anyone saying that I am not Autistic.

May be a clued up Doctor can tell quickly if someone is Autistic or not but the Doctor also needs to know the patients history.

It is possible that Dr.Samuel read my records and saw the recomendation when I was  aged nine about a Shcool for Autistic children was made.

The recomendation about a school for Autistic children was made after I attended for three weeks the Maudsley School which was in London Denmark Hill.

The Psychistrist did not say why he thought that I was Autistic.

David

• Longman:

What do you expect Doctors to do for their Autistic patients.?

There is no medicine for Autism and groups for Autistic people are not normally organised by their GPS.

The appointment system is not good whether you are Autistic or not.

You could say it is good for Autistic people that they give you definet times to ring up but I want to change to a GP where you can make an appointment at any time in office hours.

Can one tell if someone is Autistic in five minutes.?

People have told me that the reason why I was not sent to Elliot House is because I am obviously Autistic.

As explained in my previous E Mail it was explained in 2009 by my GP.  the only thing they have on my records about Autism is a Consultant Psychiatrist Dr Samuel who visited me and my Parents once in 1976 when I was nineteen.

My GP also said that I have an Autistic manner.

Two years later I learned that Doctor Samuel died of a heart attack in the Hospital Swimming pool so he has been dead over thirty years.

His successor said at the first meeting that he did   not agree that I was Autistic and remove it from my records.

Well he obviously did not as my GP said that he has no record of anyone saying that I am not Autistic.

May be a clued up Doctor can tell quickly if someone is Autistic or not but the Doctor also needs to know the patients history.

It is possible that Dr.Samuel read my records and saw the recomendation when I was  aged nine about a Shcool for Autistic children was made.

The recomendation about a school for Autistic children was made after I attended for three weeks the Maudsley School which was in London Denmark Hill.

The Psychistrist did not say why he thought that I was Autistic.

David

Children
No Data