Going Mad/Meltdown

I was raving about an hour ago. There was an issue with my computer that caused a meltdown, and I started to shout and babble incoherently. It's how mental illness and autism go hand-in-hand.

Parents
  • Des, I wouldn't worry about it. I've always been like that myself. True, it tends to happen more in private than it used to. I wouldn't bother with the word illness either, as if you were to talk to a neurotypical person about this they might well be the first to tell you that they do it themselves; and so they might also tell you they see it as fairly typical behaviour. However, I'm sure you are correct in thinking of it as a meltdown. I certainly think of my own episodes as meltdowns, but that is something a neurotypical person would probably choose NOT to call it. But no need to refer to it as an illness, unless it really is a lot more extreme.

Sometimes you just need to let off steam before you actually damage something through some rash action. I get around it myself by continually looking for ways to 'repair' things. In other words, see the problem as a challenge that you will eventually fix on your own, or with the assistance of appropriate expertise. I'm essentially dyspraxic, and yet I have acquired some experience and certificates in fixing things up over the years.

• Des, I wouldn't worry about it. I've always been like that myself. True, it tends to happen more in private than it used to. I wouldn't bother with the word illness either, as if you were to talk to a neurotypical person about this they might well be the first to tell you that they do it themselves; and so they might also tell you they see it as fairly typical behaviour. However, I'm sure you are correct in thinking of it as a meltdown. I certainly think of my own episodes as meltdowns, but that is something a neurotypical person would probably choose NOT to call it. But no need to refer to it as an illness, unless it really is a lot more extreme.

Sometimes you just need to let off steam before you actually damage something through some rash action. I get around it myself by continually looking for ways to 'repair' things. In other words, see the problem as a challenge that you will eventually fix on your own, or with the assistance of appropriate expertise. I'm essentially dyspraxic, and yet I have acquired some experience and certificates in fixing things up over the years.

Children
  • Senior Moment

Thanks. However, it fits in with my sense of shame - having been evicted from digs both in Dublin and Belfast for being histrionic and antisocial. It's something I had to deal with throughout my entire adult life.