On the subject of Mental illness and Autism

Hi. Young autistic guy here.

I just recently signed up here and I'm not used to writing in forums at all, but with this subject I find myself really eager and passionate to write about it.

Maybe I haven't dug deep enough on the internet, but I see less resources for people who have both mental illness and autism. I have both. There's a stigma surrounding it, where it seems 'impossible' to have both be co-morbid, to basically have both at the same time. The fact is, both are possible. If anyone's needed to read that, who feels invalid, or a complete fraud/fake, you're not. Many factors can create mental illness. Trauma, loss, bullying, etc. Even non-autistics can have one or more mental illnesses or physical ailments.

Why is it important to have more resources? Because from my own personal experience of being made to feel as if I'm lying about having both, you can feel so, so misunderstood. The mental health side gets put on the back burner and gradually things deteriorate for those affected, because there's not enough discussion and resources about mental illness and autism being both common together.

Parents
  • hi

i was told by dr who diagniosed me that i can have both at same time and they all feed each other and re enforce each other. i m currently under mental health and now all i seem to get is "its coz ur autistic" but not dealing with my problem caused me to walk out of session. i also knew what there plan was so i took a advocate. 

they keep fobbing me off with we dont have this person or a asd pathway whom my advocate later told me there telling lies. just same old being fobbed off

• hi

i was told by dr who diagniosed me that i can have both at same time and they all feed each other and re enforce each other. i m currently under mental health and now all i seem to get is "its coz ur autistic" but not dealing with my problem caused me to walk out of session. i also knew what there plan was so i took a advocate. 

they keep fobbing me off with we dont have this person or a asd pathway whom my advocate later told me there telling lies. just same old being fobbed off

Children
  • It is incredibly frustrating to deal with mental health services when you are autistic. Autism is classified as a disability, not a mental health problem. I’m okay with that. What I’m not okay with, is the lack of mental health services designed to meet the specific needs of autistic individuals. Given the prevalence of co-occurring mental health problems such as depression, anxiety etc., and the fact that our brains are wired differently the necessity of a distinctive approach seems obvious.

I have given up approaching mental health services for assistance. The correct help just isn’t available.