Therapy Dogs for children with Autism

I searched for this subject and couldnt find anything recent on the subject.

I am looking for views and opinions about any advantages or disadvantages in getting a dog for a 12 year old with a diagnosed ASD. I have read many articles saying they can be good but i'd like to hear from people with real life experiences before exploring further. I'm not talking about a formal, trained "assistance dog", just a dog that can be home trained to be company for my son.

Thank you

Parents
  • I grew up with dogs and absolutely loved them (not therapy dogs - just family pets). It's very therapeutic to have a friend who always listens and doesn't judge you. They're great at reading your mood and taking care of you when you're feeling down or stressed too. If you have the time and care to give a dog, I'd say it's a great idea.

Try and find a dog that matches your child's energy levels; if they're very active, try and get a dog that'll keep pace and love to play with them. If your child prefers a slower pace of life, there are lots of lazy dogs out there who'd be happy to snuggle up on a couch for most of the day (although all dogs need walking - just for different time periods depending on their needs).

• I grew up with dogs and absolutely loved them (not therapy dogs - just family pets). It's very therapeutic to have a friend who always listens and doesn't judge you. They're great at reading your mood and taking care of you when you're feeling down or stressed too. If you have the time and care to give a dog, I'd say it's a great idea.

Try and find a dog that matches your child's energy levels; if they're very active, try and get a dog that'll keep pace and love to play with them. If your child prefers a slower pace of life, there are lots of lazy dogs out there who'd be happy to snuggle up on a couch for most of the day (although all dogs need walking - just for different time periods depending on their needs).

Children
  • Try and find a dog that matches your child's energy levels; if they're very active, try and get a dog that'll keep pace and love to play with them. If your child prefers a slower pace of life, there are lots of lazy dogs out there who'd be happy to snuggle up on a couch for most of the day

That is the most important thing - matching the energy.