Therapy Dogs for children with Autism

I searched for this subject and couldnt find anything recent on the subject.

I am looking for views and opinions about any advantages or disadvantages in getting a dog for a 12 year old with a diagnosed ASD. I have read many articles saying they can be good but i'd like to hear from people with real life experiences before exploring further. I'm not talking about a formal, trained "assistance dog", just a dog that can be home trained to be company for my son.

Thank you

Parents
  • I agree with Adie, I have dogs and they have given me purpose when I can't see any reson to go on. Dogs never judge they are loyal and unconditionally loving. I didnt get my dogs as assistance dogs but they are.

Greyhounds and whippets are a lovely breed and there are plenty looking for loving homes.

A good book to read about an assistance greyhound is; 

Comet how a greyhound I rescued saved my life, its by Steven Wolff.

I'd say getting a compaion for your 12 year old is something that could potentially change their life for the better.

• I agree with Adie, I have dogs and they have given me purpose when I can't see any reson to go on. Dogs never judge they are loyal and unconditionally loving. I didnt get my dogs as assistance dogs but they are.

Greyhounds and whippets are a lovely breed and there are plenty looking for loving homes.

A good book to read about an assistance greyhound is; 

Comet how a greyhound I rescued saved my life, its by Steven Wolff.

I'd say getting a compaion for your 12 year old is something that could potentially change their life for the better.

Children
  • i have grown up with dogs and they have taught me loyalty, bravery, leadership, using other senses eg sound and smell, hunting. They also break social barriers for you. Someone will talk to just because they love dogs.  anyways ....