Mirtazapine - Experiences?

I have just started taking them and feel different - the headaches in the morning (niggly and not that bad but I have a high pain threshold) amongst other things.

Anyone have any other symptoms?

Parents
  • I've been on it for some years now. I too had slight headaches and a sort of hung over feeling in the morning. I think partially down to the lack of sleep I'd suffered for so long, and my body catching up. It kicked the *** out of me the first few weeks, but looking back it could have been my body catching up on sleep, and getting a regular pattern.

I still have groggy mornings, but no headache. It's never done anything for my mood though. I do have terrible bouts of hunger from it, that's probably the worst side effect. Weird dreams have also been mentioned as a side effect, I get those, but they are more weird than nightmarish.

I really can't express how much help it's given me sleeping. I've tried loads of meds, illegal drugs, and booze to try and get sleep in the past. Mirtazapine is the only thing that's ever let me sleep straight through.

I'd let it settle into your system, and see how you feel. If it was sleep that was the reason it was prescribed, you will start to feel a marked difference once it gets into your system, and really start to feel the benefits. For me it's the best thing I've come across for sleep.

• It has occurred to me that maybe I found the odd dreams a bit disturbing just because being able to recall dreaming was something I hadn't experienced for so long (I don't even recall my childhood dreams as having been so intense, but then again, my insomnia seems to have been present since infancy.)

• Yeah, it threw me out too. I have some real weird dreams, sometimes they are actually fun. I have woke up overloaded from vivid dreams before though. I'd still rather have that than no sleep though.

It's the hunger thing that really gets to me sometimes. I have to drink lots of water to fend it off some days. You can eat a big plate of stodgy food, and half an hour later the hunger is back. I've managed to maintain my weight though and not go with it. It's real hard at times! 

• Yeah, it threw me out too. I have some real weird dreams, sometimes they are actually fun. I have woke up overloaded from vivid dreams before though. I'd still rather have that than no sleep though.

It's the hunger thing that really gets to me sometimes. I have to drink lots of water to fend it off some days. You can eat a big plate of stodgy food, and half an hour later the hunger is back. I've managed to maintain my weight though and not go with it. It's real hard at times! 

Children
No Data