Mirtazapine - Experiences?

I have just started taking them and feel different - the headaches in the morning (niggly and not that bad but I have a high pain threshold) amongst other things.

Anyone have any other symptoms?

Parents
  • I took 45mg of mirtazapine for nearly a year.

The best thing about it was the sleep it afforded me after a long period of no sleep. Mirtazapine also increased my appetite. This was also a good thing as I had lost a lot of weight.

The downside was the hallucinations which became increasingly malevolent. I have sound to colour/shape synaesthesia and have always suffered somatic and visual hallucinations. Initially it just increased the frequency of my usual hallucinations that I have become accustomed to. Eventually I started to have proprioceptive hallucinations first thing in the mornings. My legs weren’t where my brain told me they were and I kept falling over.

Turns out mirtazapine shouldn’t be prescribed to people who already suffer hallucinations. If you don’t have hallucinations, I suspect you will be fine. Being able to sleep makes a huge difference. If possible I would stick to the initial dose of 15mg. I still occasionally take one if I suffer a period of no sleep.

People react to different anti-depressants in different ways. I hope these help you.

• I took 45mg of mirtazapine for nearly a year.

The best thing about it was the sleep it afforded me after a long period of no sleep. Mirtazapine also increased my appetite. This was also a good thing as I had lost a lot of weight.

The downside was the hallucinations which became increasingly malevolent. I have sound to colour/shape synaesthesia and have always suffered somatic and visual hallucinations. Initially it just increased the frequency of my usual hallucinations that I have become accustomed to. Eventually I started to have proprioceptive hallucinations first thing in the mornings. My legs weren’t where my brain told me they were and I kept falling over.

Turns out mirtazapine shouldn’t be prescribed to people who already suffer hallucinations. If you don’t have hallucinations, I suspect you will be fine. Being able to sleep makes a huge difference. If possible I would stick to the initial dose of 15mg. I still occasionally take one if I suffer a period of no sleep.

People react to different anti-depressants in different ways. I hope these help you.

Children
No Data