Mirtazapine - Experiences?

I have just started taking them and feel different - the headaches in the morning (niggly and not that bad but I have a high pain threshold) amongst other things.

Anyone have any other symptoms?

Parents
  • Caveat: It's been quite a while since I was last prescribed it, and it was before my autism was diagnosed. And I'm not a doctor!

I don't remember what doses I was on, but I remember I did change it a few times - I remember being told that Mirtazapine can behave paradoxically sometimes, where a weaker dose sometimes gives a stronger effect.

On the plus side:

They did lift my mood quite well, and also helped my sleep a bit, much better than any of the other anti-depressants I've been prescribed.

On the minus side:

I felt like I was slightly drunk all day. Not in a nasty feeling way, and it did ease over time, but it's why I came off them in the end. Looking back on it, I think it was making it harder to mask my autism, so maybe I'd feel differently about it if I was on them again now.

Other:

This last one is a bit weird, and I can't quite say whether it's a plus or a minus. I had the most bizarre and intense, sometimes lucid, dreams, which I could recall in vivid detail when I woke up. I wouldn't call any of them nightmares exactly, but they often seemed to have lasted for much, much longer than I had been asleep, and were a little bit disturbing when I remembered them sometimes.

And as always, if you do get any side-effects that are worrying you, please get in touch with a medic!

• Caveat: It's been quite a while since I was last prescribed it, and it was before my autism was diagnosed. And I'm not a doctor!

I don't remember what doses I was on, but I remember I did change it a few times - I remember being told that Mirtazapine can behave paradoxically sometimes, where a weaker dose sometimes gives a stronger effect.

On the plus side:

They did lift my mood quite well, and also helped my sleep a bit, much better than any of the other anti-depressants I've been prescribed.

On the minus side:

I felt like I was slightly drunk all day. Not in a nasty feeling way, and it did ease over time, but it's why I came off them in the end. Looking back on it, I think it was making it harder to mask my autism, so maybe I'd feel differently about it if I was on them again now.

Other:

This last one is a bit weird, and I can't quite say whether it's a plus or a minus. I had the most bizarre and intense, sometimes lucid, dreams, which I could recall in vivid detail when I woke up. I wouldn't call any of them nightmares exactly, but they often seemed to have lasted for much, much longer than I had been asleep, and were a little bit disturbing when I remembered them sometimes.

And as always, if you do get any side-effects that are worrying you, please get in touch with a medic!

Children
No Data