Emotional hypersensitivity when anxious

Hi,

just in the last few years, I've developed  hypersensitivity when going through anxiety times. It not the senses that are hyper, but my emotions. I'm aware of Hypersensitivity disorder and not sure if that is linked to autism, but wondering if others suffer it sometimes? In my case I get quite emotional and get upset seeing, reading or hearing of violence, hurting of others- especially animals. Basically I have to avoid a lot of media when I'm like this.

Actually, just reading back what I've typed, I've become much more intolerant of noise last few years too- whether a connection I don't know.

Thank you :)

Parents
  • I think I get increased everything that’s autistic about me if I’m tired, anxious etc! What I mean is if I’m overloaded in one way I can cope less well with everything else. I usually first notice it as a ‘bad noise day’ but yes, definitely much more affected by emotional things too (and can’t multitask, deal with change etc even more than usual). I think basically it’s a case of at a certain point I stop being able to ‘mask’ aka my autism is showing! Don’t know if that seems similar for you? 

• I think I get increased everything that’s autistic about me if I’m tired, anxious etc! What I mean is if I’m overloaded in one way I can cope less well with everything else. I usually first notice it as a ‘bad noise day’ but yes, definitely much more affected by emotional things too (and can’t multitask, deal with change etc even more than usual). I think basically it’s a case of at a certain point I stop being able to ‘mask’ aka my autism is showing! Don’t know if that seems similar for you? 

Children
  • Hello,

yes very much so. Before the recent diagnosis, and learning about ' me' on my own, I noticed I flounder in everyday stuff when tired especially. But still in the assessment stages I was much more aware my traits were more pronounced when either tired or under pressure. When I realized this only quite recently, I'd allow the traits to do their thing- rather than hiding them.