Emotional hypersensitivity when anxious

Hi,

just in the last few years, I've developed  hypersensitivity when going through anxiety times. It not the senses that are hyper, but my emotions. I'm aware of Hypersensitivity disorder and not sure if that is linked to autism, but wondering if others suffer it sometimes? In my case I get quite emotional and get upset seeing, reading or hearing of violence, hurting of others- especially animals. Basically I have to avoid a lot of media when I'm like this.

Actually, just reading back what I've typed, I've become much more intolerant of noise last few years too- whether a connection I don't know.

Thank you :)

Parents
  • I was reading an interesting article about empathy in people with autism.  I’ll try and find it later and post the link.  I might get the name wrong but I think it’s about a lack of cognitive empathy?  But a real deep empathy, much stronger than other people have.  So whilst we might not recognise people’s emotions or show ours in the same way, we have a much deeper empathy.  I’ve noticed I’ve always struggled with sad news or seeing violence and in particular animals getting hurt to the point I’m in physical pain and can’t function properly at all.  Yet if someone bursts into tears near me i often can’t work out why and will avoid them cos I don’t know what to do or say.   Does that make sense?  I’ll try and find the link later because it really seemed to fit and seems to fit what you’re describing. 

• I was reading an interesting article about empathy in people with autism.  I’ll try and find it later and post the link.  I might get the name wrong but I think it’s about a lack of cognitive empathy?  But a real deep empathy, much stronger than other people have.  So whilst we might not recognise people’s emotions or show ours in the same way, we have a much deeper empathy.  I’ve noticed I’ve always struggled with sad news or seeing violence and in particular animals getting hurt to the point I’m in physical pain and can’t function properly at all.  Yet if someone bursts into tears near me i often can’t work out why and will avoid them cos I don’t know what to do or say.   Does that make sense?  I’ll try and find the link later because it really seemed to fit and seems to fit what you’re describing. 

Children