Motion sickness

I've always suffered with car sickness and the NAS website suggests that this could be due to issues with balance (it's listed as part of vestibular over-sensitivity).

However, I find that it's not just car travel that gives me motion sickness - it happens with video games too (which is really annoying because I do enjoy playing them, but I find myself feeling like I'm going to be sick after about 20 minutes!).

I'm curious - does anyone else experience motion sickness? What triggers it for you?

Parents
  • I've got car sickness sickness since I was a kid. I thought it went away at one point, but I think it may just have been that for ages the only car I really went in was my dad's, and that car just suited me more (it was a big 4x4 so you were sat quite high up able to see the road etc). Then my dad switched cars and suddenly it was really bad again. It's better if I can sit and watch the road in a car or bus/coach, and by doing that, particularly if I can sit at the front, it's sometimes okay, but depends on the journey. I used to love going on the back of my dad's motorbike though and didn't have a problem there.

I also get bad vertigo on escalators and feel like I'm going to fall over (tube stations are the worst). I'm generally not good at things that require balance tbh (I can ride a bike, but it doesn't take much to put me off). But I love spinning in my office chair and swings and things like that, and I'm always rocking back and forth and from side to side and I'd say those things suggest in many ways I'm undersensitive so I don't know.

• I've got car sickness sickness since I was a kid. I thought it went away at one point, but I think it may just have been that for ages the only car I really went in was my dad's, and that car just suited me more (it was a big 4x4 so you were sat quite high up able to see the road etc). Then my dad switched cars and suddenly it was really bad again. It's better if I can sit and watch the road in a car or bus/coach, and by doing that, particularly if I can sit at the front, it's sometimes okay, but depends on the journey. I used to love going on the back of my dad's motorbike though and didn't have a problem there.

I also get bad vertigo on escalators and feel like I'm going to fall over (tube stations are the worst). I'm generally not good at things that require balance tbh (I can ride a bike, but it doesn't take much to put me off). But I love spinning in my office chair and swings and things like that, and I'm always rocking back and forth and from side to side and I'd say those things suggest in many ways I'm undersensitive so I don't know.

Children
  • I find that too - I'm better in either the front seat, or the middle of the back seat. Having a wider view seems to help for some reason. 

Spinning on office chairs is really relaxing, and it's odd that it doesn't have the same effect on us as the movement of a car. I've read that you can be both under-sensitive and over-sensitive (and can switch between the two), so maybe that explains it Slight smile