Depression and medication

I’ve got aspergers and think I’m depressed but I’m not keen on taking tablets and was hoping if people could tell me if they are taking them and if they help at all?

I’d rather address and fix the route cause but as I believe it’s the autism that ain’t gonna happen. 

Parents
  • I've been taking Sertraline (antidepressant) for several months now, and it does seem to help, but took several weeks to have any effect. I felt worse at first.

I also have promethazine hydrochloride to take when I feel particularly anxious, but an unfortunate side effect is that it makes me very drowsy, and I always end up falling asleep whether I wanted to or not, within a few hours. (I could go back to the GP and ask to try something different, but I can't be a***d.)

I hope to wean myself off both at some point, but I've had to give up work recently because I can't cope with it anymore, and some days I struggle to get out of the house. Under the circumstances, I feel OK about taking the tablets for now, until I am stronger.

• I've been taking Sertraline (antidepressant) for several months now, and it does seem to help, but took several weeks to have any effect. I felt worse at first.

I also have promethazine hydrochloride to take when I feel particularly anxious, but an unfortunate side effect is that it makes me very drowsy, and I always end up falling asleep whether I wanted to or not, within a few hours. (I could go back to the GP and ask to try something different, but I can't be a***d.)

I hope to wean myself off both at some point, but I've had to give up work recently because I can't cope with it anymore, and some days I struggle to get out of the house. Under the circumstances, I feel OK about taking the tablets for now, until I am stronger.

Children
No Data