Hypersensitivity to formal clothing

Hello!

I can't stand the satiny texture of the interlining in suit jackets, the texture of neckties, and the texture of formal leather shoe insoles.

For my thesis oral exam/presentation I turned up in a cotton shirt, black jeans and fabric plimsolls and it wasn't an issue for anyone.

I have an interview coming up for which I have to wear a jacket and tie.

I'm convinced I'm going to flunk this interview. It hurts so much to touch this texture. It really is indescribable. Torture. Nobody can understand. 

I don't think I'll ever find a job. If only they'd drop the smart dress requirement. This will ruin all prospects for survival.

It's too late for this interview but if you know where I can purchase a suit, tie and formal-looking shoes without the silky feeling kindly inform. It might come in handy in the future.

Thank you

Parents
  • Has the invitation to interview specifically stated a shirt, tie and leather shoes or have you assumed that's what smart dress must mean? I am in the same position as you and have sensitivities to certain materials so won't wear shirts and ties or most formal clothing. I sit on interview panels and will often turn up in a smart jumper, black jeans and white leather trainers. Due to my own experiences, I wouldn't assume that every candidate should follow the same fashion conventions. For example, a smart polo shirt under a formal jumper would be as acceptable to me in these situations as a cotton shirt, tie and jacket.

If I was in your position I'd either:

1. Ring the companies HR dept for advice (if you'd like to avoid revealing your sensitivities to the interview panel at this stage)

2. Email the contact on the invitation for their advice - This is my prefered option as I believe it shows the interview panel that your keen and respect your potential line managers opinion

• Has the invitation to interview specifically stated a shirt, tie and leather shoes or have you assumed that's what smart dress must mean? I am in the same position as you and have sensitivities to certain materials so won't wear shirts and ties or most formal clothing. I sit on interview panels and will often turn up in a smart jumper, black jeans and white leather trainers. Due to my own experiences, I wouldn't assume that every candidate should follow the same fashion conventions. For example, a smart polo shirt under a formal jumper would be as acceptable to me in these situations as a cotton shirt, tie and jacket.

If I was in your position I'd either:

1. Ring the companies HR dept for advice (if you'd like to avoid revealing your sensitivities to the interview panel at this stage)

2. Email the contact on the invitation for their advice - This is my prefered option as I believe it shows the interview panel that your keen and respect your potential line managers opinion

Children