Dental treatment

Hi. My son is 13 and has autism and adhd.

He is scared of the dentist but does go and I sit in the room with him and reassure him when they are looking at his teeth.

However, last visit they said he has a cavity and needs a filling,

personally I don’t think he’s going to cope, but the dentist had told me they will be fine.

Is there anything I can do to help prepare him mentally for this? I have a horrible idea in my mind that as soon as they get the drill out he’s going to run away screaming. He’s terrified of anything medical and last time he had a blood test he had a full on meltdown and screamed the hospital down.

Parents
  • My old NHS dentist (pre-diagnosis) had a monthly fund to cover treatment under sedation at a private hospital. It was completely free for me as I was on means tested benefits and had a tooth extracted. Because of your son's age his dentist can refer him to a dental hospital and the work can either be done under sedation or a general anaesthetic, if necessary. My brother with ASD used to see an NHS special needs dentist when he was under 18 and was really happy going there. I am currently happy to pay a lovely private dentist to have my dental work done under sedation. It costs quite a lot but I googled local dentists that treat phobics and got lucky. She understands my ASD, SPD etc and even tucks me in with heavy blanket before she starts anything. I would never force a child to have a filling under duress when there are safe and effective options available.

• My old NHS dentist (pre-diagnosis) had a monthly fund to cover treatment under sedation at a private hospital. It was completely free for me as I was on means tested benefits and had a tooth extracted. Because of your son's age his dentist can refer him to a dental hospital and the work can either be done under sedation or a general anaesthetic, if necessary. My brother with ASD used to see an NHS special needs dentist when he was under 18 and was really happy going there. I am currently happy to pay a lovely private dentist to have my dental work done under sedation. It costs quite a lot but I googled local dentists that treat phobics and got lucky. She understands my ASD, SPD etc and even tucks me in with heavy blanket before she starts anything. I would never force a child to have a filling under duress when there are safe and effective options available.

Children
No Data