Multiple and mis-diagnosis

Has anybody else been through the mental health system? I am currently being assessed and looks likely I have Autism and high functioning. 

This may (unfortunately) been undiagnosed, whilst I have been involved and potentially misdiagnosed, within mental health services.

Can anybody else share experiences of being misdiagnosed, going through mental health services or other similar system's. It is becoming very difficult to even get assessed at the minute, but I think it will be a relief when I get this diagnosed.

Any other experience or advice would be welcome. I am new to the site so will be nice to make friends.

Best wishes,

Peter.

Parents
  • I was misdiagnosed with BP and BPD. I explained to the PDOC numerous times that I thought I was autistic and my opinion was dismissed. After pursuing this over a number of appointments I was given the relevant questionnaires to send off to the autism centre, which led to my diagnosis. The PDOC explained I was being given the form so that it could be proved I was not autistic. I'm really glad he was proved wrong as I haven't had any MH since finding out why I'm different.

• I was misdiagnosed with BP and BPD. I explained to the PDOC numerous times that I thought I was autistic and my opinion was dismissed. After pursuing this over a number of appointments I was given the relevant questionnaires to send off to the autism centre, which led to my diagnosis. The PDOC explained I was being given the form so that it could be proved I was not autistic. I'm really glad he was proved wrong as I haven't had any MH since finding out why I'm different.

Children