A thing I made...

So, this is the Spoonicator V2... it's a thing I use to show my current 'Spoon' (energy/mood) level without needing to actually tell people how I feel.

I made V1 out of individual LEDs set into a laser-cut frame but I found a few problem with it (inconsistent brightness of LEDs, not visible in bright light, needed to be angled as the LEDs were very 'directional'

V2 uses short strips of LED replace the individual LEDs, plus laser-cut coloured plastic strips set into a 3D-printed chassis with the face at a 45 degree angle...

It's a bit bodged-together, but I've found it handy as a way to be 'mindful' of my own state of mind as well as to give others a clue so they are aware that I may be uncommunicative or may need a bit of 'time out'

Parents
  • This is brilliant! So when are you mass-producing? I want one! Slight smile

Can you make the lights blink? For example, when needing some alone time to recharge the last red light blinks as if you're actually recharging Smiley 

On a serious note I think I could really benefit from something like this (and my family). I struggle to gauge things, I'm stuck with the typical on/off 1/0 way of thinking. This would get me to think about my current state of mind and present in a physical form. 

Great post

• Thanks! You're not the first to suggest mass production...

You could do all sorts - V3 (or maybe 4...!) will likely use an Arduino processor with an IoT (Internet of Things) kit to allow remote control, patterns etc.

It could also be wired into the mains (would probably need to be) rather than running off a 9v battery.

If I went down that route it would be quite easy to either publish the plan with a list of parts required for DIY assembly, or as a complete kit, or pre-assembled...

Using a 'bread board' to connect the LEDs, switches and other electronics to, plus amending the shell design to allow the board to slot into the chassis would make this viable as a kit...

I'll muse on this as a possible option along with publishing the design for 3d printing (which you can get done by a 3rd party and sent to you)...

• I sent a picture of this to my other half by the way! She thinks it's a fantastic idea too. A quick search of the internet reveals nothing similar (you should go on Dragon's Den!).

Remote control would be brilliant!! You could update this throughout the day at work so it reflected your current state before you walked through the front door. The family would already be aware, removing that element of surprise. It would also mean that changing the lights wouldn't be such an obvious thing. Could you even build an App for it.....? Where do I place my order?

• I sent a picture of this to my other half by the way! She thinks it's a fantastic idea too. A quick search of the internet reveals nothing similar (you should go on Dragon's Den!).

Remote control would be brilliant!! You could update this throughout the day at work so it reflected your current state before you walked through the front door. The family would already be aware, removing that element of surprise. It would also mean that changing the lights wouldn't be such an obvious thing. Could you even build an App for it.....? Where do I place my order?

Children
  • Yeah, my wife was all "You need to patent this!" but the issue is you have to do it worldwide for it to be effective (I think)...

I'll look into it, but if someone took this idea and started mass-producing them then that would be a good thing for our community, plus I don't think there's a mass-market...

I'll look into patenting the idea a bit more though.

• I think you're really on to something here, you should probably look to protect your idea! Remember fidget spinners? That idea well and truly got nicked!

• My original idea was to have it as a badge, so it was a visible indicator that travelled with you.

Yes an app to control it would be do-able via Bluetooth connection. I actually work in IT (my team built the app for a large Gov dept which is available on iOS and Android) so I know people with the required skills.

You could have more than one device and link them to the app so that they either all showed the same 'level' or could be tailored so 'home' showed a different level.

You could also add one of those scrolling LED text message boards underneath... the lights...

- set to flashing red, 1 bar

I've ordered some bits off Amazon to make a simple 'push connection' version that I can upload the instructions and parts list for when I work out if I can replicate it.

Initially it'll be the 'workings' without the cover, but I can see a secondary market for 'custom covers' be it like a teddy bear or Ironman or a Dalek or whatever you're into, so you could have something on a desk or shelf that didn't look out of place but was a useful tool...

• Oooh yes, an app based one. Could have oneon office doors as a warning, one at home and even leave one on the bosses desk!!!