Autistic and Pregnant - Advice needed

Hi,

wondering if anyone has any experience of being on the spectrum and pregnant?

my sensory issues have gone absolutely crazy. I’m finding it very difficult to mask and my midwives are being so unhelpful, it’s actually spoiling my pregnancy 

any experiences/advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

also... how was the birth for anyone? With peoples pain thresholds? I know mine is different to NTs. Can anyone relate? 

Parents
  • I'm 23 weeks pregnant and am autistic. I don't mask as my personal stance is overall I've found it to be a very unhelpful coping mechanism. Plus, I believe hiding natural autistic ways does more harm than good in regards to inclusion and raising awareness. I've contacted my local birthing centre about being autistic and am having a private appt to visit the birth sanctuary where others normally go in groups. I'm also attending all of the relevant training to be able to use the birthing pool and aromatherapy oils to support my sensory needs. If you're having difficulty communicating effectively could you write a letter to give to your midwife outlining your concerns, why these are and what support you feel would be helpful? 

The hardest thing for me has been the change in routine, especially as I've had to give up running and am now awake every day at 4 instead of 5.30. When I think about having a small person wriggling around inside of me, rather than feeling blessed that I'm getting to nurture a life, I feel anxious and uncomfortable about having another human inside of me. 

• I'm 23 weeks pregnant and am autistic. I don't mask as my personal stance is overall I've found it to be a very unhelpful coping mechanism. Plus, I believe hiding natural autistic ways does more harm than good in regards to inclusion and raising awareness. I've contacted my local birthing centre about being autistic and am having a private appt to visit the birth sanctuary where others normally go in groups. I'm also attending all of the relevant training to be able to use the birthing pool and aromatherapy oils to support my sensory needs. If you're having difficulty communicating effectively could you write a letter to give to your midwife outlining your concerns, why these are and what support you feel would be helpful? 

The hardest thing for me has been the change in routine, especially as I've had to give up running and am now awake every day at 4 instead of 5.30. When I think about having a small person wriggling around inside of me, rather than feeling blessed that I'm getting to nurture a life, I feel anxious and uncomfortable about having another human inside of me. 

Children
No Data