Does anyone recognise this?

I got very anxious exactly a week ago - lots of things building up over a sustained period of time - and went to bed for the day. Probably what could be termed a shutdown. Laying in the dark silence was helpful, although I felt bad about missing work and not calling in sick (played truant again today, but for a different reason).

On the Friday I got really drunk. I was sick and passed out. This was also anxiety induced, and this was also helpful in reducing it. However, since then I have felt as though my brain is separated from the rest of my body, my eyes don't seem to be functioning as well as they should (sometimes they go a bit blurry, sometimes it feels like they're not really my eyes and I'm looking through someone else's), I keep getting headaches and I struggle to open my eyes in the morning. I've gone from my normal 4 hours to over 8 hours sleep a night, with the compulsion to take a nap during the day (although I can't). I can still function on the whole but I just feel very, very strange.

Do you think this could be the fallout from the anxiety attack, or a consequence of my bingeing (I only had 15 units - recovering alcoholic so very much used to counting my intake in units!)? I'd go see the GP except I don't have one. I was deregistered after a series of heated debates. A new surgery has agreed to accept me but I have to wait for a couple of weeks until I'm put on the system so I'm in limbo and would appreciate if anyone could share a similar experience..? That might help in the meantime. 

Parents
  • Have you dialed the NHS advice line number 111?

They will go through a series of questions with you and advise you what to do next.

Another alternative is an NHS walk in centre, which have nurses on duty and sometimes a Doctor and they will be able to advise you as well  A lot of NHS walk in centres are open until quite late and you wouldn't have to have a GP to access them.  Be prepared for quite a long wait though.

You need serious informed advice and I don't think this forum is the place to offer a diagnosis.  Most problems do go away and are not serious, but you need this assurance from a trained professional who will go through all your symptoms.

• Have you dialed the NHS advice line number 111?

They will go through a series of questions with you and advise you what to do next.

Another alternative is an NHS walk in centre, which have nurses on duty and sometimes a Doctor and they will be able to advise you as well  A lot of NHS walk in centres are open until quite late and you wouldn't have to have a GP to access them.  Be prepared for quite a long wait though.

You need serious informed advice and I don't think this forum is the place to offer a diagnosis.  Most problems do go away and are not serious, but you need this assurance from a trained professional who will go through all your symptoms.

Children
  • I don't use the phone so I couldn't call 111 really. In Scotland though there is a webchat option on nhs inform website and I was able to talk to someone using that. They advised me to wait for the GP to open and register with them asap, and I did that the very next day but just waiting now to be added to the patient list so I can actually make an appointment. I know that it's nothing serious otherwise they would have dealt with it when I was chatting with them. Not looking for a diagnosis, just curious as to whether anyone else has ever experienced something similar. Thank you for your advice, though.