Autism & Diabetes

Hi does anyone else with autism find managing diabetes difficult ?  I really struggle with doing the blood sugars !

Parents
  • Hi, I have type 2 diabetes. I don't have to check my blood sugars, but I do sometimes out of curiosity.

My problem is that I physically can't swallow the metformin tablets and the liquid version tastes vile. They recently gave me some slightly smaller tablets, but I still struggle with them and only take them about 3 or 4 times a week, instead of every day.

I also have lots of taste and texture issues with food, so I really struggle to follow a good diet - I frequently live on cereal and pizzas! I also eat loads of biscuits when I'm at work.

I wish there was more specific advice for managing diabetes when you have sensory issues!

• Hi, I have type 2 diabetes. I don't have to check my blood sugars, but I do sometimes out of curiosity.

My problem is that I physically can't swallow the metformin tablets and the liquid version tastes vile. They recently gave me some slightly smaller tablets, but I still struggle with them and only take them about 3 or 4 times a week, instead of every day.

I also have lots of taste and texture issues with food, so I really struggle to follow a good diet - I frequently live on cereal and pizzas! I also eat loads of biscuits when I'm at work.

I wish there was more specific advice for managing diabetes when you have sensory issues!

Children
No Data