Just had my first appointment, need some help.

So basically I've just returned from my first appointment at my local community mental health centre after being referred by my GP.

I felt that the conversation I had when there was very broad and didn't really take into account any wider points, specifically more related to Asperger's. The majority of the question were about the social side of things, which I understand is obviously a big part of AS, but other characteristics affects me too and make life difficult.

All in all we spoke for only 15 to 20 minutes before she concluded I don't have AS, that I have social anxiety and depression and tried to pit me on a course of anti-depressants. She said she'd book me another appointment to see her in 3 months, and one to see a psychiatrist about the social anxiety. I declined the medication, not least because I'm not depressed, but also because I am put off by side effects and such.

I understand how social anxiety can be very closely related to AS, but I feel she didn't listen to or pay any attention to the other characteristics and such that are covered by the umbrella that is AS. Obviously some days I feel 'down' about things, but it's very far from being depressed and I feel as if they've just made an extremely quick decision in trying to offer me anti depressants before fully understanding everything.

Should I just continue and go to the appointment in 3 months, and the one with the psychiatrist, or should I go back to my GP and try and get referred to someone else who may pay more attention to me?

I probably should've mentioned, I'm 20.

Thanks for any advice/help :)

Parents
  • Sadly the whole thing remains a minefield. Information about adults doesn't seem to be getting through to professionals, who still seem to be driven by looking for the manifestations found in young people, in adults who as square pegs have been forced into a round hole, and probably do not manifest those diagnostioc traits.

Gaze aversion seems to be the commonest one, but you cannot easily detect gaze aversion when someone is looking proximally at a face, and most people as adults are forced to try to look in the right sort of direction. They still don't make eye contact. Gaze aversion (demonstrably looking away from the face, eg downwards) shouldn't be used as diagnostic evidence on its own.

The other is giving a good impression in a fifteen minute or half hour interview. Most adults to survive have had to develop formal social patter.  They can probably survive a one to one interview without giving much indication of having a problem.

It is all too easy to substitute alternative explanations. In my 20s and 30s immaturity was often cited as a way of explaining difficulties. Then it was lack of assertiveness (those stupid tapes and books - parent-adult-child etc), or relaxation exercises.

You've been offered social anxiety disorder and propensity to dramatise as brush offs.

Sadly I don't think the professionals read these posts. Otherwise we could remonstrate with them. What is the point of wasting money on relaxation tapes etc when just addressing the ACTUAL problems a person might have might more effectively find a resolution.

How much time is spent on people who come back repeatedly with social integratgion problems, and are given the brush off over and over again? Wouldn't it be better to provide positive help?

• Sadly the whole thing remains a minefield. Information about adults doesn't seem to be getting through to professionals, who still seem to be driven by looking for the manifestations found in young people, in adults who as square pegs have been forced into a round hole, and probably do not manifest those diagnostioc traits.

Gaze aversion seems to be the commonest one, but you cannot easily detect gaze aversion when someone is looking proximally at a face, and most people as adults are forced to try to look in the right sort of direction. They still don't make eye contact. Gaze aversion (demonstrably looking away from the face, eg downwards) shouldn't be used as diagnostic evidence on its own.

The other is giving a good impression in a fifteen minute or half hour interview. Most adults to survive have had to develop formal social patter.  They can probably survive a one to one interview without giving much indication of having a problem.

It is all too easy to substitute alternative explanations. In my 20s and 30s immaturity was often cited as a way of explaining difficulties. Then it was lack of assertiveness (those stupid tapes and books - parent-adult-child etc), or relaxation exercises.

You've been offered social anxiety disorder and propensity to dramatise as brush offs.

Sadly I don't think the professionals read these posts. Otherwise we could remonstrate with them. What is the point of wasting money on relaxation tapes etc when just addressing the ACTUAL problems a person might have might more effectively find a resolution.

How much time is spent on people who come back repeatedly with social integratgion problems, and are given the brush off over and over again? Wouldn't it be better to provide positive help?

Children
No Data