Autism Problems

can problems such as skimming, flapping, poor social response, self talk etc be solved by using OT?

Parents
  • As another user has pointed out occupational therapy should have some Impact on the behaviours you mentioned however don't be surprised if it doesn't stop it. The sensory issues will still be there but the reaction is changed. Also don't be surprised if further stimming develops later on, as long as they are not dangerous or self harming to some degree allow them 

• Yeah I realised my daughter has become more sensory as she growing up. Bigger character and everything has to be in her term. I am puzzled whether to fight with her or not..she is very needy on me, my husband likes to take her from me and want to train her up . I am not sure whether this is good for her hence lots of fights between us sadly 

• My daughter is 8 and still very clingy she has sleep problems and gets so wound up she will only lay down with me she has a meltdown when I leave her at school in the morning but switches her learning head on (that's what we call it!) within minutes of me going, I try to separate myself a bit from her got easier as she could understand more but she is still very attached! 

• My daughter is 8 and still very clingy she has sleep problems and gets so wound up she will only lay down with me she has a meltdown when I leave her at school in the morning but switches her learning head on (that's what we call it!) within minutes of me going, I try to separate myself a bit from her got easier as she could understand more but she is still very attached! 

Children
  • Neither, she receives counselling for anxiety and is being assessed for what social communication needs the school need to adjust, the effort of her masking and suppressing her need to stim is causing meltdowns when she gets home so we have sensory sessions which calm her and allow her to stim when she needs. As I said all children are different and it effects everyone differently but I have always been advised to allow the behaviours but encourage a time for it. That works for us but wouldn't for everyone 

• Which therapy is your child taking?