Extremely petrified about going into 2019

Hello everyone I need help as I am feeling extremely scared about going into the new year 2019 because I am still thinking and worrying that the national service (compulsory military service) and the death penalty is going to be reintroduced or might actually come back for when Britain leaves the European Union and when some other countries in Europe like France are going to be bringing it back. Also I still think that 2019 will be a disasterous year for all of us. Also I want to be able to create a campaign about wanting conscription to be abolished in other countries as I have heard on Amnesty International that they are campaigning about a lot of things like for the death penalty to finally be abolished in other countries and that did make me feel quite happy and it give give me some hope.

Parents
  • I can wholeheartedly relate to your anxiety and paranoia. I experience this too and I make myself ill with the amount of worrying I do. I've stressed myself out so much that my parents are really concerned about me and it's ruining my relationship with my boyfriend. I imagine such extreme scenarios in my head too and obsess over them and can't stop thinking about them.

I am also really scared about going into 2019, especially as I am thinking of all the horrible things that might happen. 

I wish there was a way to stop these thoughts. 

• I can wholeheartedly relate to your anxiety and paranoia. I experience this too and I make myself ill with the amount of worrying I do. I've stressed myself out so much that my parents are really concerned about me and it's ruining my relationship with my boyfriend. I imagine such extreme scenarios in my head too and obsess over them and can't stop thinking about them.

I am also really scared about going into 2019, especially as I am thinking of all the horrible things that might happen. 

I wish there was a way to stop these thoughts. 

Children
  • There is, it’s called inquirey. The best I’ve found is ‘the work’ by Byron Katie, where she gets you to put your thoughts down on paper and question them. 

It doesn’t take away the tendency for repetitive thinking, but it deals with it and as is congruent with brain plasticity, the thoughts do slow down. I have been using this method for years though so it doesn’t happen over night, it doesn’t change the tendency over night and when highly stressed I still forget to use it. Although when I first started doing it I was doing it continuously. I did put a lot of work into it. I now use it very effectively with clients. 

You can get the forms, there’s only 4 questions, for free from the website. And there’s also an explanation of how to do it. As they say in AA, it works if you work it.