who can diagnose?

I've tried searching for the answer on google, but I can't seem to find anything definite on any professional/government websites. Most of the websites that do come up are from the USA and about their policy. I know in the UK, a psychiatrist can make a diagnosis. But I am curious whether clinical psychologists can make a diagnosis? This seems to vary from country to country. The clinical psychologists in the UK seem to also range in a variety of degrees, such as PhD, PsychD, ClinPsychD, DClinPsy... are they different in any what they are allowed to do?

Parents
  • I read somewhere - perhaps on the NAS website - that in order for an ASD diagnosis to be seen as valid by, for example, the NHS or social care, it must be carried out by someone who has been properly trained. I think all the practitioners listed by the NAS as offering ASD diagnosis meet this standard - it would be interesting to know exactly what it is.

My assessors were doing additional private, but not for profit, work in addition to being NHS assessors so I was confident the assessment would be accepted by other agencies. Where private assessments are offered at considerable cost it is especially important to be sure of their validity.

• Yes, that's what I also found on the NAS website as well, but it's very vague what standard is considered "properly trained".

I am considering going for a private assessment like you, as I feel I have been on the NHS waiting list for a long time, and still don't feel like I'm moving closer.  But like you, I would like to find someone who were doing non-profit additional work, in addition to being NHS assessors, so that I can be sure that they are valid. Would you be able to share the website of the clinic where you went for an assessment?

• Here we are: https://autismnortheast.org.uk

What I like about their approach is that they aim to reach a really good understanding of the person, and what will assist them, rather than simply diagnosing ASD. 

• They are good but like all valuable and scarce resources they get very busy. I have been phoning round services in the East of England trying to find a private service for someone else - got a very helpful response from a couple of people listed on the NAS webpage. Just wish the NHS service was properly resourced so everyone who needs an assessment could get one done without an excessive wait. 

• They are good but like all valuable and scarce resources they get very busy. I have been phoning round services in the East of England trying to find a private service for someone else - got a very helpful response from a couple of people listed on the NAS webpage. Just wish the NHS service was properly resourced so everyone who needs an assessment could get one done without an excessive wait. 

Children
No Data