What do you wish your school/teachers knew about you?

Hello all,

I am trying to put together a form of workbook that teachers are able to use within mainstream classrooms to help hetter understand children that are on the spectrum.

I find that too often children labelled as autistic are viewed only by their "disorder" and people forget this is a unique individual.

I understand there is a wide spectrum of needs, but I think a focus on positive interactions will help break down the barriers labels create.

Thanks for your time

Parents
  • This is an interesting question. For me, I suppose the question shouldn't necessarily specifically about one person, or one category of people, but understanding as a starting point that not all children are the same so teachers need to have awareness, understanding, resources and time to be able to gain an awareness and understanding of every student as an individual. As a child, I doubt I was best placed to fully understand or know what I was going through, or being able to communicate my needs, but if teachers approached the situation that all children are different then that may allow them to understand that a child behaving a certain way doesn't make them good, bad or whatever but merely makes them an individual in the early stages of life who may need more or less help regarding certain tasks or skills, etc. to help the child develop in a positive way to be able to achieve their potential while ensuring that the needs of children are met no matter what their differences are.

Having a large class can restrict this idea of the children having the time and resources to fully understand an individual, therefore, it's easy to fall into the trap of just categorising someone as bad rather than focusing on trying to build a relationship to be able to understand the individual, why they may be behaving a certain way and how support can be put in place to help the child.

My nephew, who was the first member in my family to be diagnosed, has been pulled out of school over such things. There has been bullying, which the school haven't been able to deal with effectively. The teachers lack the time and resources to focus on individuals so they look for the quick and easy option at times including labelling him as bad and a problem child rather than investing the time needed to help understand him, his needs and how he can best be supported to learn and develop.

• This is an interesting question. For me, I suppose the question shouldn't necessarily specifically about one person, or one category of people, but understanding as a starting point that not all children are the same so teachers need to have awareness, understanding, resources and time to be able to gain an awareness and understanding of every student as an individual. As a child, I doubt I was best placed to fully understand or know what I was going through, or being able to communicate my needs, but if teachers approached the situation that all children are different then that may allow them to understand that a child behaving a certain way doesn't make them good, bad or whatever but merely makes them an individual in the early stages of life who may need more or less help regarding certain tasks or skills, etc. to help the child develop in a positive way to be able to achieve their potential while ensuring that the needs of children are met no matter what their differences are.

Having a large class can restrict this idea of the children having the time and resources to fully understand an individual, therefore, it's easy to fall into the trap of just categorising someone as bad rather than focusing on trying to build a relationship to be able to understand the individual, why they may be behaving a certain way and how support can be put in place to help the child.

My nephew, who was the first member in my family to be diagnosed, has been pulled out of school over such things. There has been bullying, which the school haven't been able to deal with effectively. The teachers lack the time and resources to focus on individuals so they look for the quick and easy option at times including labelling him as bad and a problem child rather than investing the time needed to help understand him, his needs and how he can best be supported to learn and develop.

Children
No Data