What do you wish your school/teachers knew about you?

Hello all,

I am trying to put together a form of workbook that teachers are able to use within mainstream classrooms to help hetter understand children that are on the spectrum.

I find that too often children labelled as autistic are viewed only by their "disorder" and people forget this is a unique individual.

I understand there is a wide spectrum of needs, but I think a focus on positive interactions will help break down the barriers labels create.

Thanks for your time

Parents
  • Every child should have the equivalent of a customer care file which includes a full medical and behaviour history and experiences and advice of others who have dealt with them.  And teachers should read the file before dealing with that child.

My experience of schools ( starting in 1967) was an absolute nightmare.

In infant school I was physically punished every day, sometimes two or three times a day.  Mostly for not speaking, not paying attention, not doing what was asked.

Yet, the teachers should have known what some of my real problems were.

1. I have a very foreign name.  So I didn't understand or speak English.  My oldest surviving school report ( when I was eight) confirms that they knew this.  But most teachers expected just beat me for not understanding.
    2. I was mute for many years.  I think it was psychological.  I just didn't speak!!!  I communicated in other ways.  Teachers just expected me to speak.
    3. I was deaf in one ear.  Nobody picked up on this until I was in hospital and I actually told a doctor when I was ten that I couldn't hear what he was saying.  Then something was done about it.

Basically I am saying try to find out what unique problems a child has.  Don't just assume they are being naughty.

• That's just awful. I have read some papers on adults that have had awful school experiences and were later diagnosed as having autism.

I get really angry when I am told "he's just being naughty" it's more "what am I doing that isn't working" than "why isn't he doing as he is told"

I found forming a relationship first really helpful then tailoring his resources around his interest (currently dinosaurs).

• That's just awful. I have read some papers on adults that have had awful school experiences and were later diagnosed as having autism.

I get really angry when I am told "he's just being naughty" it's more "what am I doing that isn't working" than "why isn't he doing as he is told"

I found forming a relationship first really helpful then tailoring his resources around his interest (currently dinosaurs).

Children
No Data